- Score: Bridgeport 3, Assumption 0
- Records: Bridgeport (2-0), Assumption (0-3)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption kept every match close, only falling by a few points each set, but could not turn the momentum and fell 3-0 to Bridgeport.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds fell behind 8-1 early in the first set before being able to steal some momentum from the Purple Knights. It wasn't until Bridgeport was ahead 12-5 when Assumption rallied a comeback. The Hounds scored five straight points to get within two with Tess Haller (Cape Elizabeth, Maine/Cape Elizabeth) recording a service ace. The two teams traded points all the way until the end with the Hounds staying within three before the Purple Knights sealed the deal and took the set 25-23.
- Assumption took the lead in the second set with three straight before Bridgeport got on the board. Both teams went back and forth trading the lead before the Purple Knights gained a three-point lead (12-9). They grew their lead to six (18-12) and the Hounds were unable to recover and dropped the second set 25-20.
- The Hounds came out strong again in the third set and took at 14-12 lead led by Mary Campbell (Plainville, Mass./Bishop Feehan) at the serve. Assumption kept a two point lead before Breanna Jones reached the service spot and led the Purple Knights to a five-point rally and took a 20-15 lead. The Hounds fought back to get within one point (21-20) and did it again at 22-21, 23-22 and 24-23, but couldn't get over the hump and lost the third set 25-23 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Alexandra Krawczyk (East Patchogue, N.Y./Bellport) led the Hounds with 14 digs and tallied three assists on the night.
- Ariana Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico/Colegio Marista) notched 13 digs, three service aces and four kills while Jill Orosz (Bridgewater, Mass./Cardinal Spellman) led the team with seven kills. Both Lara Herrero (San Juan, Puerto Rico/Academia Maria Reina) and Alana Hruska (Marlborough, Conn./RHAM) earned six kills.
- Both freshmen setters had good performances with Danielle Zarcone (Hauppauge, N.Y./Smithtown High School West) earning 14 assists and three digs and Kyra Belden (Hollis, N.H./Hollis-Brookline High School) tallied 13 assists and eight digs.
- The Hounds are back on the road at Stonehill for a match against Mercy at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 14.