- Score: Tiffin 3, Assumption 0
- Score: Newman 3, Assumption 0
- Records: Tiffin (2-1), Newman (3-1), Assumption (0-4)
- Location: Memphis, Tenn. (Canale Arena)
- The Lead: Assumption was competitive in nearly every set but was never able to capture a set victory in either of its matches. The Hounds fell 25-17, 25-21 and 25-17 to Tiffin while coming up short against a tough Newman squad 25-17, 25-12 and 25-19.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption fell behind 14-5 in the first set but rebounded eventually pull within three 19-16. Tiffin allowed just one more point the rest of the set, winning 25-17. In the second set, the Hounds trailed just 13-10 following a block by Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake) and Waylin Walls Parker (Beecher, Ill. / Beecher). An 8-3 run by the Dragons put the set out of reach and they captured the 25-21 win.
- In the final set the two teams were even through ten points. Tiffin went on a run, though a kill by Olivia Burke (Salem, N.H. / Salem) made it 15-13. The Dragons scored the next five points on their way to winning the set 25-17.
- Assumption played right with Newman through the match's first 18 points and trailed just 11-10 after a Mary Campbell (Plainville, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) kill. However, the Jets slowly extended their lead and came away with the 25-17 win.
- The Hounds jumped out to an early lead in the second set, pulling in front 7-6 on a kill by Burke. It was short-lived as the Newman rattled off nine consecutive points on the way to an eventual 25-12 victory. The Jets kept up the offensive flurry in the third, taking a 14-4 advantage and eventually securing the 25-19 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In the opener, senior Maria Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) and sister Brenna Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) paced the defense with 12 and 10 digs apiece. Smith added four kills and ten digs while Burke hit .300 with ten kills and Kiki Romanik (San Rafael, Calif. / Sir Francis Drake) had 22 assists.
- Julia Goyette (Randolph, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) and Smith each had eight kills in the match, while Romanik added 16 assists and seven digs. Maria Chrisom led the team with ten digs as the Hounds totaled 38 in the match.
- Romanik was also the only Assumption player named to the All-Tournament Team for her play over the weekend.
- The Hounds return to action on Friday when they face off against Nyack at 11:00 am on the campus of Saint Anselm.