- Score: Christian Brothers 3, Assumption 1 (25-19, 26-28, 25-9, 25-16)
- Score: Arkansas-Monticello 3, Assumption 0 (26-24, 25-22, 25-19)
-Records: Christian Brothers (1-0), Arkansas-Monticello (2-0), (Assumption (0-2)
- Location: Memphis, Tenn. (Canale Arena)
- The Lead: Assumption put forth a strong effort but was unable to come away with a victory in its first day of competition Friday. The Hounds opened with a 3-1 loss to host Christian Brothers and then fell to Arkansas-Monticello 3-0 on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Match One
- The Hounds fell behind trailed 11-7 in the first set, before consecutive points pulled them back within two. Christian Brothers responded with a 9-3 run to extend its lead to 20-10, though Assumption went on an 8-2 run to pull within four, 22-18, before eventually falling 25-19.
- The second set was a battle and the score was deadlocked at 13, 14, 15 and 17 apiece before four straight points by the Bucs gave them a 21-17 advantage. The Hounds answered with a run of their own to pull in front 24-23. CBU was on the verge of victory at 25-24 and 26-25, before kills by Waylin Walls Parker (Beecher, Ill. / Beecher) and Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake) brought Assumption back. Eventually, an ace and a kill by Olivia Burke (Salem, N.H. / Salem) gave the Hounds a 28-26 win.
- CBU led Assumption just 9-8 in the third set before going on a 16-1 run to finish with a 25-9 victory for a 2-1 advantage. The Bucs also took the third set, 25-16, as they pulled away from the Hounds late in the set.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Match Two
- Assumption took a 6-5 lead early in the first set off a kill by Smith, though a 9-3 run by the Blossoms put them in from 15-8. They eventually extended their lead to 21-13. The Hounds answered with a huge run to tie the match 23-23 on a kill by Burke and then they took a 24-23 lead one point later. However, Arkansas scored the final three points for the 26-24 win.
- Assumption was even 6-6 with the Blossoms early in the second, and kept it close throughout as they trailed by two at 22-20 and then 24-22. However, one final kill gave Arkansas the 25-22 win. In the final set, the Hounds kept it close throughout, falling behind just 18-16 on an Addison Stafford (Copperopolis, Calif. / Bret Harte) kill. The Blossoms answered with a 5-1 run and eventually secured the 25-19 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kiki Romanik (San Rafael, Calif. / Sir Francis Drake) did a bit of everything in the opening match with 22 assists, eight digs, four kills and a pair of blocks. Julia Goyette (Randolph, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) added six kills and four aces while Smith contributed 11 digs and eight kills. Maria Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) registered a team-best 19 digs.
- Against the Blossoms, Burke hit .368 with ten kills and six blocks while freshman Mary Campbell (Plainville, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) added eight kills, four blocks and three digs. Romanik posted a double-double of 14 assists and 11 digs while Chrisom had a team-high 15 digs.