- Event: Southern Maine Open
- Location: USM Fieldhouse (Gorham, Maine)
- The Lead: Assumption broke a pair of school records and recorded eight first place finishes along with numerous top-three finishes on Saturday at Southern Maine.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) won the 55 meter finals in a school-record time of 7.33 seconds, breaking Sue Tolley's school record of 7.60 seconds set back in 1982. Classmate Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) also broke the old record with her time of 7.58 seconds and placed third in the event. Steffon then won the 200 meters in a time of 26.28 seconds while Koontz placed third in 26.81 seconds.
- Junior Olivia DeMonico (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) placed second in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.85 seconds setting a new school record. Madison Soullier (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) was second in 8.86 seconds while Abigail Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) was third in 8.90 seconds. Jones' time of 8.85 seconds in the prelims also matched DeMonico's school-record.
- Assumption had three of the top four finishers in the 400 meters, led by Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) who took second in 1:01.89 seconds. While Maura Geoghegan (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) placed third in 1:01.93 seconds while Elena DelloRusso (Milford, Mass. / Milford) was fourth in 1:03.98 seconds.
- Junior Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic) won the 600 meters with her time of 1:43.71 seconds. In the 800 meters, Liz Letizio (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) placed second in 2:25.5 while Meghan Slinskey (Fishkill, N.Y. / Our Lady of Lourdes) rounded out the top five in 2:32.74.
- In the 5000 meters, the Hounds took each of the first three spots led by Tressa Novack's (Scotch Plains, NJ / Union Catholic) victory in 19:07.04. Freshman Grace Corbett (Merrimack, N.H / Merrimack) placed second in 19:15.24 while classmate Sydney McCann (South Dennis, Mass. / Dennis-Yarmouth) was third in 19:39.59.
- Freshman Abigail McKeown (Plainville, Mass. / King Philip Regional) won the high jump with a height of 1.55 meters while freshman Marissa Airoldi (Tolland, Conn. / Tolland) placed seventh in the pole vault with a height of 2.75 meters.
- In the long jump, senior Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) posted a jump of 5.55 meters to win the event while Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) took second in 5.49 meters. Santee was sixth in the event.
- Junior Nicole McMorrow (Milford, N.H. / Milford) placed second in the triple jump with a mark of 11.09 meters while Miller placed third in 10.99 meters and Eckerson was fourth in 10.81 meters.
- Junior Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) came through with a second place finish in the shot put with a distance of 12.83 meters. Mikaylah Schwartz (Dracut, Mass. / Dracut) placed fifth with a distance of 11.50 meters. Freshman Megan Sheehan (Newton, N.H. / Sanborn Regional) had the best finish in the weight throw with her distance of 13.84 meters, to take third, while Roxann Wint (Boston, Mass. / Newton North) was fourth with a distance of 13.64 meters.
- The 4x400 relay won on Saturday, completing the event in 4:12.93. Letizio led off, followed by Slinskey, Alicia Polak (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell) and Iassogna.
- The team returns to action on Feb. 1 when they take part in the NEICAAA Championships at the Reggie Lewis Center.