- Event: Spartan Invitational
- Location: Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex (Staten Island, N.Y.)
- The Lead: Assumption opened 2019 with a number of strong performances, including a pair of new school records as the team competed in the Spartan Invitational at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy) came through with an impressive school record in the pole vault, jumping to a height of 3.2 meters on her third attempt at that height. It broke the Assumption indoor record of 3.05 meters she set last year.
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) placed 12th in the 60 meters, finishing in 8.05 seconds while Abigail McKeown (Plainville, Mass. / King Philip Regional) took 10th in the high jump with a height of 4'11".
- The 4x800 relay placed third with a time of 10:25.25. Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic) led off, followed by Liz Letizio (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly), Alicia Polak (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell) and Meghan Slinskey (Fishkill, N.Y. / Our Lady of Lourdes). The quartet also took fifth in the DMR with a time of 13:35.56.
- The 4x200 relay posted an impressive school-record performance while taking second in the event with a time of 1:44.34. Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) started the race, followed by Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington), Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) and Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional). It broke the old school record, set last season, by more than five seconds. Assumption's "B" relay placed 13th in the event in a tie to 1:52.56.
- In the long jump, senior Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover), placed third with a distance of 17'5.5" while Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) took seventh in 16'8.75". Miller also took eighth in the triple jump with a distance of 36'1.25, while Eckerson was 11th and Nicole McMorrow (Milford, N.H. / Milford) took ninth in 35'10.5".
- The whole team returns to action on January 19, when the team travels to compete in the Sorlein Invitational at URI.