- Score: Assumption 6, Nyack 0
- Records: Assumption (1-1), Nyack (0-2)
- Location: Old Westbury, N.Y. (President's Stadium)
- The Lead: Senior Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y./Beekmantown) scored twice in the opening 45 minutes to stake women's soccer to a 4-0 advantage and they finished off Nyack for a 6-0 victory on Saturday afternoon in the
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Villemaire started the scoring just 1:50 into the contest as Jessica FitzGerald (Uxbridge, Mass./Uxbridge) dished it off to her, and the senior flicked it past the goalie for the 1-0 advantage.
- The Greyhounds continued the scoring with two more goals in the first half. Fitzgerald scored a goal in the 11th minute and Villemaire tallied her second goal the 31st minute. Freshman Kayla Nixon (Littleton, Mass./Littleton) concluded the first half scoring in the 43rd minute on an unassisted goal.
- Assumption finished the game with two more goals in the second half. Melinda Villanueva (Hamden, Conn./Hamden Hall) scored the first, off an assist from Fitzgerald and Brooke English (Lancaster, Mass./Nashoba Regional) tallied her first collegiate goal from Ania Spina (Wallingford, Conn./Mark T. Sheehan).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds led the game in shots (33-4) and corner kicks (5-0) as Fitzgerald and Villemaire each finished with four points on the day to pace the offense.
- Assumption goalie Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) got the win and played the first half, while her teammate Katie Hammer (Greenlawn, N.Y./Harborfields) controlled the second half with two saves. Nyack's Nicole Benesch, ended the day with 12 saves in the full 90 minutes.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH:
"We talked a lot about how we are going to battle back and reveal our character. Today was a great showing of bouncing back after a hard fought game yesterday. I'm proud of the way the team played; we still have some things to keep working on but this was a good showing!" - Head Coach Grace Barnard
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team hosts LIU Post at 1 p.m.