- Score: NYIT 1, Assumption 0
- Records: NYIT (1-0-0, 0-0-0 ECC), Assumption (0-1-0, 0-0-0 NE10)
- Location: Old Westbury, N.Y. (President's Stadium)
- The Lead: NYIT's Natalia Reynisdottir scored on a shot over Assumption goalie Alexis Nason's (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) head to put her team ahead 1-0 at the 78:09 mark and the goal proved the difference on Friday as the Hounds fell 1-0 in their season opener despite outshooting the Bears by six.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Reynisdottir scored her first goal of the season at the 78:09 mark on a shot over Nason to put NYIT up 1-0 at the 78:09 mark. Maggie Thibeault assisted the goal.
- Assumption pressured but could not put a shot on goal following Reynisdottir's goal. The Hounds thought they netted the equalizer with just under five minutes of action remaining, as Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y. / Beekmantown) ripped home a rebound, but the goal was called off due to a foul in the box and they were unable to get another shot on net in the waning minutes.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption held an 11-5 shot advantage, including a 6-2 advantage in the first half. The two teams had three corner kicks each and neither team had a corner kick in the second half.
- Reynisdottir scored her first goal of the 2017 season, while Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) led the Greyhounds with four shots on goal.
- Nason made two saves but dropped to 0-1-0 on the year while NYIT's Jessie Sabal improved to 1-0-0 with the victory.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH'S:
- "Today was a good wake up call for us. We came out flat and if we let other teams dictate our tone we're going to be put under pressure like we did. The 2nd half was a much better showing with chances to win we just have to be composed in the final 3rd. I believe in our group and I know we have the capability to play and possess the ball moving forward. How we bounce back tomorrow will show a lot about our group and I'm excited to see us fight back tomorrow." – Grace Barnard, Assumption College Head Coach.
- Assumption will face Nyack on Saturday at 11 a.m. at NYIT as part of the East Region Crossover Challenge.