- Score: Assumption 10, Bentley 9
- Records: Assumption (14-4), Bentley (11-6)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Bentley Field)
- The Lead: No. 4 seed Bentley took its first lead of the game with 13 minutes left in regulation, but fifth seeded Assumption stormed back to score the final two goals of the contest and held on to secure a 10-9 victory in the NE10 Quarterfinals on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) came up with four big saves in the opening five minutes, before Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead at 23:36. She scored less than two minutes later for the 2-0 advantage. Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) pushed the lead to 3-0 at 20:43 and added another with 20:12 left to make it 4-0.
- Bentley got on the board at 19:37, though Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia) answered 23 seconds later for a 5-1 advantage. The Falcons tallied back-to-back goals with a 40-second span to close the gap to just 5-3. Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass. / Braintree) made it a 6-3 contest off a Reilly feed with 13:15 left, however, the Hounds were shut down the rest of the half. A Bentley goal in the final three minutes provided a 6-4 margin at the half.
- Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) extended it to a three-goal lead, 7-4, at 26:38. However, the Falcons scored three times in less than two minutes to tie the contest at seven apiece with 22 minutes left in regulation. Tautkus put Assumption back in front at 20:32. An unassisted goal evened it up 8-8 one minute later and Bentley grabbed its first lead, 9-8, with 12:53 left.
- Reilly split through the defense for an unassisted tally with 10:18 to tie up the contest. Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) then found a cutting Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) for the 10-9 lead with 9:50 left. Both defenses made numerous stops over the final nine minutes, including Collins who saved a free position attempt with 1:54 remaining and then made one final point blank save with only four seconds left to preserve the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bentley actually outshot Assumption 29-26 in the contest and had 14 caused turnovers to just seven for the Hounds. The Falcons also won more draw controls (13-8) and picked up more ground balls (22-15).
- The difference in the game was Collins, who made a career-high 16 saves while allowing just ten goals to secure her 13th win of the season. Defensively, McDermott came through with two caused turnovers and two ground balls, while Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) added two ground balls and a pair of caused turnovers.
- Offensively, Reilly paced the offense with three goals and one assist while winning four draws. Hart and Tautkus each added a pair of goals, and Burchill chipped in one goal with two caused turnovers. Reilly's three goals on the season gave her 69, which set a new single-season goals record and breaking the mark of 66 set by Amy McNeil in 2013.
- The victory is the first for the Hounds in the NE10 Quarterfinals since 2005. In that contest, they beat Saint Michael's 11-10.
- Eliza Bresler took the loss for Bentley as she stopped ten shots and allowed ten goals. Cara McCarthy led the Bentley offense with three goals and one assist.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the Hounds face off against top seed Le Moyne on the road at 11 a.m. in the NE10 Semifinals.