- Score: Assumption 18, Stonehill 9
- Records: Assumption (3-0, 1-0 NE10), Stonehill (3-1, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption led just 8-7 with four minutes left in the first half, but the defense held Stonehill scoreless over the next 23 minutes while scoring eight consecutive goals to take control of the game on the way to an 18-9 victory Thursday afternoon in the conference opener for both teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill jumped out to a 2-1 lead in the first 2:15, though Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia) evened it up at 2-2 just 30 seconds later. Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) deposited back-to-back goals and Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) extended the lead to 5-2 off a feed from Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin). Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) then scored and Tautkus pushed it to 7-2 at 19:34.
- The Skyhawks came back with three goals over a five-minute span to trail just 7-5 with ten minutes left in the period. Hart halted the run, but two more Stonehill goals cut it to 8-7 with just 4:38 remaining in the period. Spath made it 9-7 and Jenny Bush (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) scored twice in the final two minutes while Hart added a fourth tally for a 12-7 advantage at the half.
- Reilly won the second-half draw and scored just ten seconds into the period for a six-goal lead. She added two more goals over the next ten minutes as the Hounds stretched their lead to 15-7. At 13:30, Dwyer extended the lead to 16-7. Stonehill scored its first goal of the half at 11:05 and then tallied another with 4:16 left to cut the deficit to 16-9. However, Brooke Burdon (Bedford, N.H. / Bedford) and Spath concluded the scoring for the nine-goal victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Stonehill 46-18 in the contest, including a 23-6 edge in the second half. The Hounds also won 19 of 30 draws and picked up more ground balls (28-12) while recording 17 caused turnovers.
- Reilly was all over the field with four goals and nine draw controls, while Bush had a hat trick and Hart tallied four goals and one assists. Spath had a team-high six points on two goals and four assists while Lauren Jakobs (Naples, Maine / Lake Region) dished off three assists with four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Defensively, Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) had five caused turnovers, four ground balls and four draw controls while Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) and Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) each had two caused turnovers and two ground balls. Freshman Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) stopped six shots and allowed nine goals to earn the victory.
For Stonehill, Jennifer Wheaton posted six points on three goals and three assists. Baily Grant was saddled with the loss as she allowed 15 goals with eight saves in 39:10, while Kaleigh Wright made eight saves with three goals allowed in 20:50.
- Assumption returns to action on Sunday when the team travels to face No. 10 Mercy at 1 p.m.