- Score: No. 25 Assumption 19, Southern Connecticut St. 15
- Records: Assumption (9-6, 6-6 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (4-12, 3-10 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The constant downpour didn't slow down the Hounds as they outscored Southern Connecticut State over a five-minute stretch late in the second half to pull away for 19-15 victory and clinch a berth in the upcoming NE10 Tournament on a bleak Wednesday evening
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams played strong defense in the opening minutes, but Southern Connecticut scored the first goal of the contest. Assumption wasn't phased, scoring five straight goals over a five-minute span as Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine/Gorham) started the rally for the Hounds. Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y./ Shaker) added two goals, as Assumption went up 5-1 with 19:39 left in the half.
-The Owls responded by going on their own 2-0 run, which was quickly shut down by Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn./ Fairfield-Warde) as she scored her second goal of the game giving the Greyhounds a 6-3 lead 13:03 left in the first half. The pace of the game slowed down as the Owls went on a 3-2 run in the final ten minutes, before Alexis Pastore (Bladwinsville, N.Y./ Charles W. Baker) scored with 30 seconds left to give the Hounds a 9-6 lead heading into half.
- The Owls came out strong as Carolynn Keal scored 20 seconds into the half cutting the deficit 9-7. Both teams went back and forth as Caitlin Graves (Ashland, Mass./ Ashland) and Cushing scored to give the Hounds a 11-8 advantage before two more Owl goals cut it to just an 11-10 lead with 21:34 remaining in regulation. Assumption's defense locked down and didn't allow a goal over the next five minutes while scoring twice to push its lead back to three.
- Southern Connecticut ended the run with a goal at 10:37 to trim it to two, however, Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) responded less than 30 seconds later to make it a three-goal lead. Freshman Allison Foley (Walpole, Mass. / Walpole) added a pair of goals in the final ten minutes while Graves had one more as the Hounds held on for the 19-15 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Assumption outshot the Owls (44-28), while also picking up 17 more ground balls (30-13), and causing more turnovers (16-5). Graves led the way with a career-high tying eight points as she netted five goals and three assists. Reilly was right behind her as her seven points (5G, 2A). She also broke Amy McNeil's 2013 single-season scoring record of 76 points, finishing the day with 80 points.
- Amanda Burns (Billerica, Mass. / Billerica Memorial) recorded a pair of assists on the day to give her 100 points, becoming the 12th player in program history to reach that mark. She also broke her own school record for draw controls in a single season, with 76 total.
Defensively, Cushing and Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass./ Franklin) led the way with Cushing picking up five ground balls and three caused turnovers while McDermott added four ground balls and three caused turnovers. Cushing also recorded a hat trick.
- In net, Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H./ Pinkerton Academy) earned the win as she had ten saves in 60 minutes of play and improved her record to 9-6. Laura Morton earned the loss as she had 13 saves.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday as they travel to Merrimack for a 12 pm contest in their final regular season game.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.