- Score: No. 25 Assumption 15, Franklin Pierce 11
- Records: Assumption (8-6, 5-6 NE10), Franklin Pierce (6-7, 4-7 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption led 7-4 at halftime and Franklin Pierce wasn't unable to get any closer than three throughout the second half as the defense came through with some big stops in leading the Hounds to a 15-11 senior day victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Franklin Pierce struck first as the Sweeney sisters, Caitlin and Briana, each scored to give the Ravens a quick 2-0 lead. Assumption answered with a goal by Jenny Bush (Kennebunk, Maine/ Kennebunk) with 20:07 left in the first half. The Hounds kept rolling by going on their own 5-0 run, with goals from Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn./ Fairfield-Ware), and Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y./ Shaker) for a three-goal lead.
- The Sweeney sisters struck again as they each scored another goal to shrink it to 5-4 with 5:33 left. The Hounds responded and finished the half strong as Hart netted two more goals, including one with ten seconds left to give Assumption a 7-4 lead going into half.
- The second half was a game of spurts as each team had their own runs. The Hounds were first to strike as senior Caitlin Graves (Ashland, Mass./ Ashland) and Amanda Burns (Billerica, Mass./ Billerica Memorial) scored extending Assumption's lead 9-4 with 24:31 remaining in regulation. Caitlin Sweeney answered right away as she scored 14 seconds after Burns' goal cutting the deficit two four.
- Burns answered right back by netting a goal herself, which was followed by a goal from Allison Foley (Walpole, Mass./ Walpole) to give the Hounds an 11-5 lead. The Ravens went on a run of their own as Briana Sweeney scored two goals and her teammate, Morgan Riley, netted one as well to shrink the lead to 11-8 with 17 minutes remaining. Assumption pushed the lead to 13-8 with consecutive goals and eventually held on for the four-goal victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
-Assumption outshot Franklin Pierce (37-36), while also leading in draw controls (16-12) and ground balls (31-22). Hart led the Hounds offensively with five points as she scored four goals and had an assist. Burns also contributed offensively as she had three goals while Reilly had two goals and one assist.
- Defensively, Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass./ Franklin), Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine/ Gorham) led the way as McDermott had six ground balls and 4 caused turnovers, while Cushing had five ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Sophomore Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H./ Pinkerton Academy) got the win for the Hounds as had a career-high 13 saves in 60 minutes of play. Madison Murray took the loss for the Ravens and had 12 saves.
- The Hounds return to action on Wednesday as they host Southern Connecticut State under the lights at 7 pm in a crucial conference matchup.