- Score: Saint Anselm 12, Assumption 11
- Records: Saint Anselm (8-5, 6-3 NE10), Assumption (7-5, 4-5 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Grappone Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed 10-5 at the half, but came all the way back to even the score 11-11 in the final ten minutes before ultimately falling 12-11 to Saint Anselm on Saturday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead just 36 seconds into the contest. The Hawks responded with three goals over the next 11 minutes to grab a 3-1 advantage. Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) scored on a free position attempt at 16:01 to end the run.
- Saint Anselm deposited consecutive goals for a 6-2 advantage and after a Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) goal at 10:15, the Hawks added two more for an 8-3 lead with 6:57 left. Reilly scored unassisted to pull the Hounds within four, however, Saint Anselm outscored Assumption 2-1 over the final three minutes for a 10-5 lead at the break.
- Hart opened up the second-half scoring for the Hounds and Caitlin Graves (Ashland, Mass. / Ashland) followed with a goal at 22:44 to make it 10-7. She scored twice more off feeds from Reilly to trim the deficit to only 10-9 midway through the second half. The Hawks finally ended the run at 11:58, but back-to-back goals from Hart and Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) tied it 11-11 with 9:28 left.
- Saint Anselm scored the go-ahead goal with 7:46 left on a free position attempt. Assumption had three shots in the final seven minutes and also possessed the ball with under a minute left but couldn't even the score as the Hawks held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Saint Anselm held a 30-25 edge in shots, though was outshot 15-7 in the second half. The Hawks won one more draw control (13-12) and picked up seven more ground balls (19-12).
- Reilly led Assumption with five points on two goals and three assists, while Graves had a hat trick and Hart scored four times. Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) did a bit of everything with three draws, three caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H. / Pinkerton Academy) made 11 saves in the loss, while allowing 12 goals. Zoie Cavotta earned the win for the Hawks as she made ten saves and allowed 11 goals. Meaghan Sheehy paced her team with six points on three goals and three assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday when they travel to play No. 10 Pace at 6 pm.