Oct 23, 2017
- Tournament: NEIGA Championship
- Results: 1st out of 3 teams: 357+340=697
- Location: Brewster, Mass.
- Date: October 22-23
The Lead: The Assumption College women's golf team cut 17 strokes off their score in the final day of the New England Intercollegiate Golf Association (NEIGA) Championship to jump from second place to taking first overall on Tuesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Catherine French (Dudley, Mass./ Shepherd Hill) took first place in the championship shooting a combined 161. She shot an 86 in her opening round and then was 11 strokes better on Tuesday for a 75 to take the top spot overall. Christine Cutting (Scituate, Mass./Scituate) also imporved her score the second day, cutting off three stokes to take 4th place while classmate Mia Rapoza (Westport, Mass. / Bishop Stang) jumped five places to tie for fifth overall and take third for the Hounds with a score of 178.
- Freshman Samantha Leary (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) tied for 11th overall shooting a combined 183 while senior Alyssa Ruggieri (Cranston, R.I./Cranston West) tied for 14th improving her score by ten strokes on the second day to shoot a 206.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption moved into first place shooting a 340 the second day to score a 697 combined while Saint Rose shot a 360 on the second round to record a 704 overall score and LIU Post remained in third with a final score of 750.
- Four out of five golfers improved their scores on the second day of the tournament. This is also Assumption's first tournament victory of the 2017-18 season.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.