- Score: Assumption 69, Southern N.H. 60
- Records: Assumption (14-14, 9-12 NE10), Southern N.H. (17-11, 11-10 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Stan Spirou Field House)
- The Lead: With twelve lead changes and four tied points, Assumption took the 69-60 win over Southern N.H. and shot 75 percent from the free throw line in the final minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass./North Middlesex Regional) started the scoring for Assumption with a quick layup only to have the points answered by Southern N.H. After Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) tied the game at four, the Hounds took a 5-0 run before Gyanna Russel of the Penmen ended the streak. Assumption answered with seven more points that ended with a Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) three to give the Hounds a 16-6 lead with 3:03 left in the quarter. The Penmen ended the quarter with some momentum, outscoring the Assumption 7-4, but the Hounds held a 20-13 lead headed into the second.
- Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) scored the first points of the second quarter with a pair of free throws. The next eight points were scored by the Penmen, which lessened the lead to just one (22-21) with 4:57 in the half. O'Donnell answered quickly with a three to extend the lead back to four (25-21). A Kylie Lorenzen layup and a Molly Terry three for the Penmen gave Southern N.H. a one-point lead at the 3:03 mark. O'Donnell took the lead back for the Hounds with a pair of free throws and a layup only for the Penmen to make a jumper just 12 seconds after for a 30-29 lead that they held until the end of the half.
- Southern N.H. extended their lead to three at the opening of the second half before O'Donnell knocked down a free throw to get the Hounds within two. The Penmen later scored five unanswered points to take a 42-35 lead at the 5:21 mark of the third quarter. A layup apiece for Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) and LeBlanc got the Hounds within two (43-41) with 3:25 left. Assumption continued and scored five straight points later to take a 46-45 lead with 44 seconds to play before Lorenzen made a layup at the 21 second mark to take back the lead for the Penmen and end the quarter 47-46.
- The fourth quarter started with five lead changes before both teams settled at 52 points with 6:46 left in the game. The Penmen were the first to break the tie with a Lorenzen layup only to have Capacchione tie the game at 54 with a jump shot at the 4:23 mark. This sparked four more points for the Hounds to give them a 58-54 lead, which forced Southern N.H. to take a timeout. Lorenzen made a quick layup following the timeout only to have Capacchione answer with a jump shot and later a three to take a 63-58 lead with only 1:37 left to play. The Penmen were then forced to foul to try and gain possession, where the Hounds went 6-8 at the line and earned a 69-60 victory over Southern N.H.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Donnell led the Hounds with 26 points, eight rebounds, two blocks and one steal to put her at 1,110 career points, which is 19th in Assumption women's basketball history. Capacchione ended the night with 13 points and four rebounds followed by LeBlanc with 10 points and five assists.
- Lorenzen led the Penmen with 17 points and 11 rebounds followed by Russel with 12 points and seven rebounds. Karlee Zalik rounded out the scoring with eight points.
- Assumption shot 45.5 percent from the floor, 22.7 percent from three and 66.7 percent from the foul line while they earned 38 rebounds, 16 assists, three steals and eight blocks for the game. Southern N.H. shot 35.4 percent from the field, 7.7 percent from three and 81.3 percent from the free throw line and tallied 39 rebounds, 12 assists and seven steals.