- Score: Stonehill 82, Assumption 80
- Record: Stonehill (18-8, 12-8 NE10), Assumption (13-14, 8-12 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Senior Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) connected a on a three with just under three seconds left in regulation to tie the score and bring Assumption back from an 18-point halftime deficit, however, Stonehill scored on the ensuing inbound as time expired to escape with an 82-80 victory on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 10-6 lead in the opening four minutes on a three from Megan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin). Stonehill tied it up, though three free throws from Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) provided a 13-10 advantage with three minutes remaining. The Skyhawks finished the period on a 17-2 run to grab a 27-15 lead at the end of the first.
- O'Donnell scored the first points of the second to cut the deficit to 10 points and the Hounds trailed 29-19 at 8:30. Stonehill responded with the next 12 points to push its lead to 41-19 midway through the period. Assumption was able to close the gap to 16 points, but went into the half trailing 45-27.
- The teams traded baskets over the first three minutes of the third, and a pair of free throws from O'Donnell cut the Hound deficit to 51-35. Stonehill answered with a three, though Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) came back with a triple of her own. That basket jumpstarted a 15-0 run by Assumption, with Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass. / North Middlesex) making it a 54-50 contest with 2:22 left in the third. The Skyhawks scored the final four points to lead 58-50 after three periods.
- Stonehill led 64-56 three minutes into the fourth, before Cramb connected on a triple. The hoop started a run and the Hounds took a 67-66 lead with 3:49 remaining. The Skyhawks countered with a 10-2 run of their own for a seven-point lead with just 50 seconds left. Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J. / Washington Township) hit back-to-back threes to pull the team within three. The team closed it to two but was forced to foul in the final 15 seconds. Trailing 80-77 in the waning seconds, O'Donnell connected on a stepback three to tie the game up. On ensuing inbound play, Stonehill's Kayla Raymond hit a tough layup as time expired to lift her team to victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 50.9 percent from the floor and made 9 of 15 three-point attempts but was only 13-for-23 from the free throw line. Stonehill connected on 51.8 percent of its field goal attempts while making 12 of 22 shots from downtown and 12 of 18 from the charity stripe. The Hounds did have a 33-28 rebounding edge.
- O'Donnell put up an impressive double-double of 35 points and 12 boards with three blocked shots. Cramb added ten points while LeBlanc dished off a career-high ten assists with six points and two rebounds.
- Raymond led Stonehill with 23 points and four rebounds, while Grace Carter had 18 points, four assists and two steals.
- Assumption concludes its regular season when the team travels to face Southern New Hampshire on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.