- Score: No. 15 Bentley 57, Assumption 51
- Records: No. 15 Bentley (21-2, 15-1 NE10), Assumption (11-12, 6-10 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) scored her 1000th career point while Assumption led No. 15 Bentley headed into halftime. Bentley gained momentum in the second half and took the 57-51 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- O'Donnell got things rolling with a contested three on the Hounds first possession. Bentley's Maddy Springfield tied it up at three at 7:35. O'Donnell connected on another contested three to give Assumption the lead and to earn her 1000 career points. Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) extended Assumptions lead to six with two three-pointers (12-6). O'Donnell had a great pass to Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) for an and-one, which forced Bentley to call a timeout at 3:45 down 15-6. The Falcons ended their scoring draught with a three with 45 seconds left. Assumption put on a scoring frenzy to lead NE10 league leaders after the first quarter 24-9.
-Bentley's offense started to come alive in the second quarter. The Hounds' offense started to fade as they scored three points in the first five minutes of the quarter. Bentley's Victoria Lux cut the lead to 10 after a layup, which forced Assumption to call a timeout after their lead was cut to eight with 2:57 left. With a three from Amy McConnell, the Falcons got within five with 1:15 left in the half. Cramb finally ended Assumption's long scoring draught with a three to head into halftime with a 30-26 lead.
-The Falcons opened the second half with a layup from Monica Viapiano to cut Assumption's lead to two. Lux tied it up at 30-30 with a layup. Bentley's Marissa Fontaine hit a three to give them the 33-30 lead at the 6:12 mark. O'Donnell ended the Falcons' scoring spree with a pair of free throws to get back within one (33-32). Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) was fouled from three and hit all three free throws to cut the Bentley lead to two (39-37) with 2:30 left in the third. McConnell a steal and an and-one to give the Falcons a seven-point lead (44-37). Cramb hit a contested three to give the Hounds some momentum headed into the fourth, while Bentley led 49-40.
-Monica Viapiano of the Falcons made a tough reverse layup to give them an 11-point lead (51-40) with just 7:55 left in the game. Abby Mckanna (Narragansett, R.I./Narragansett) made a three get within eight, prompting Bentley to call at timeout at 6:37. After a pair of Cramb free throws, the Falcons lead was cut to six (51-45). Cramb had a steal and two more free throws to creep within four (51-47) four with 3:09 left to play. With both teams in the bonus, at the 1:33 mark, Mckanna hit both free throws to pull it within three followed by O'Donnell with two free throws with just 26.8 seconds left in the game. This forced Bentley to call a timeout with 26 seconds to play and the score 54-51 in favor of the Falcons. Bentley extended its lead to five after McConnell's free throws and with one more point scored in the final seconds, The Falcons won 57-51.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Cramb led the Hounds with 18 points and five rebounds followed by O'Donnell with 10 points and six rebounds to earn her 1000 career points. Falayi contributed with seven points and four rebounds.
-McConnell earned 14 points, five rebounds, and six assists while Lux had 13 points and eight rebounds. Both Springfield and Lewis tallied eight points apiece.
-Assumption shot 32.6 percent from the floor, 42.1 percent from beyond the arc, and 88.2 from the foul line. Bentley shot 35.2 percent from the field, 40.0 percent from three, and 64.7 percent from the free throw line.
- The Hounds are on the road Tuesday, February 12 at Saint Anselm at 5:30 p.m.