- Score: American International 72, Assumption 62
- Records: American International (10-9, 5-6 NE10), Assumption (10-8, 5-6 NE10)
- Location: Springfield, Mass.
- The Lead: Even with a strong fourth quarter push, Assumption was unable to get the win over American International who took the 72-62 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- American International took a quick three-point lead (5-2) at the 7:42 mark of the first quarter. The Yellow Jackets then went on a 5-0 run to take a 10-4 lead. The run by the Yellow Jackets was stopped by a three-pointer from Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) that lessened the lead back to three (10-7) with 6:09 left in the first. Both teams traded baskets until Assumption went on a 4-0 rally to get the game within two (15-13) after a Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) layup at the 2:19 mark. The Yellow Jackets answered with four straight points to end the quarter and extend their lead to six (19-13) at the end of the first quarter.
- The second quarter started out slow for both teams with the first points of the quarter scored by American International at the 6:42 mark followed by an Assumption layup by Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I./Narragansett) to put the game at 21-15 in favor of the Yellow Jackets. American International took a 25-17 lead headed into the half after a pair of free throws from Destine Perry.
- The Yellow Jackets scored the first points of the second half just twelve seconds into play with a three-pointer by Alyssa Guyon, which extended their lead to 28-17. Assumption answered with a jumper from Caterina Fonseca (Enfield, Conn./Enfield High School). Neither team was able to string together more than three consecutive points until there were 42 seconds left to play in the quarter when Mckanna made back-to-back layups to lessen the Yellow Jackets lead to 12 (48-36) with 12 seconds left. The Yellow Jackets scored a buzzer-beater layup to make the lead 14 (50-36) headed into the final ten minutes.
- American International started the fourth quarter with a 6-0 run to extended their lead to 20 (56-36) with just 8:26 left to play in the game. McKanna answered with a jumper that was quickly answered back by Dana Watts of the Yellow Jackets. The Hounds then rallied together six unanswered points led by Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy). Assumption strung together four more points around the four minute mark by O'Donnell and Cramb. The Yellow Jackets scored five straight points that ended at the 2:36 mark to take a 67-50 lead. Another Cramb and O'Donnell combination earned five more unanswered points with the 43 seconds left in the game to get the Hounds within 11. Assumption scored the final two points of the game, but were unable to reach the Yellow Jackets as they took the 72-62 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Donnell led the Hounds with 22 points and three assists followed by Cramb with 14 points and four rebounds. McKanna scored 10 points while Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) led the Hounds with six rebounds.
- Rashana Siders of the Yellow Jackets led with 23 points, four rebounds and three assists followed by Watts with 17 points, nine rebounds and three assists as well. Dominique Boyd scored 17 points and added four rebounds.
- Assumption shot 41.4 percent from the floor, 36.4 percent from three and 62.5 percent from the free throw line and earned 26 rebounds, 15 assist and five steals. American International shot 41.0 percent from the field, 37.5 percent from three and 84.2 percent from the foul line while they secured 34 rebounds, 14 assists, six blocks and six steals.
- The Hounds home on Saturday, January 26, for their Leukemia Awareness game at 1:30 p.m. against Saint Rose.