- Score: Assumption 75, American International 65
- Records: Assumption (10-4, 5-2 NE10), American International (8-6, 3-3 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: With a strong second half led by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) who scored 14 in the second, Assumption pushed past American International for a 75-65 non-conference win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption earned a quick foul followed by two made free throws by Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) which gave the Hounds a 2-0 lead just 29 seconds into play. American International answered with a seven-point rally with all the points coming from Dana Watts. After two made free throws by Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy), the Hounds tied the game at seven with 2:50 remaining in the first quarter. Assumption ended the quarter with a 7-3 run to lead the Yellow Jackets 14-10 at the end of the first.
- The Yellow Jackets started the second quarter strong with three unanswered points to lessen the Hounds' lead to just one. American International tied the game at 16 apiece after a three by Rashana Siders at 6:44. Assumption quickly took a 21-16 lead after a three made by Cramb qith 5:19 remaining. The Yellow Jackets clawed their way back into the game and took a 22-21 lead with a pair of free throws made by Nyrie Holliman. The Yellow Jackets ended the quarter with a 6-0 run with 1:10 remaining until Cramb made a two to end the half 28-23 in favor of the Yellow Jackets.
- Watts started the second half for the Yellow Jackets with a quick layup just 11 seconds in that was answered by Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) to lessen the lead to five. The Hounds later went on a 8-0 rally that gave them a 40-39 lead with 2:00 left on the clock. American International ended the run with a layup by Watts to gain the lead once again. Assumption finished out the quarter with a 6-2 run to hold a 46-43 lead headed into the fourth quarter.
- Capacchione started off the fourth quarter for the Hounds with a three-pointer just 15 seconds in to play followed by a layup 26 seconds later which gave Assumption a 51-45 lead. She added two free throws after that to advance Assumption's lead to eight. The Yellow Jackets answered back with a 7-0 run that lessened the Hounds' lead to just six. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) and O'Donnell rallied to put together six unanswered points that extended their lead to 12. The Yellow Jackets were unable to recover and the Hounds took the 75-65 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Both Capacchione and Falayi scored 16 points in the game along with Falayi contributing seven rebounds and Capcchione earning six. Cramb earned 15 points and four rebounds followed by O'Donnell with 12 points and seven rebounds. Assumption totaled 39 rebounds and 18 assists.
- Watts led the Yellow Jackets with 21 points and 12 rebounds followed by Siders with 15 points. Dominique Boyd scored 12 points and pulled down seven rebounds. The Yellow Jackets totaled 32 rebounds and 13 assists.
- The Hounds shot 43.8 percent from the floor, 37.5 percent from three and 71.1 percent from the foul line while American International shot 37.7 percent from the floor, 33.3 percent from three and 72.2 percent from the foul line.
- Assumption is back home again on Wednesday, January 9, against Adelphi at 5:30 p.m.