- Score: Assumption 59, Molloy 51
- Records: Assumption (9-4, 5-2 NE10), Molloy (6-6, 1-3 ECC)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Merkert Gymnasium)
- The Lead: After being tied at halftime, Assumption rallied around sophomore Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) who scored a career-high 13 points for the Hounds as they outscored Molloy 23-13 in the fourth quarter to take home the 59-51 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption started out the game with a quick four points in the first 47 seconds of play only to be answered with a three by Molloy at the 6:15 mark. Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) extended the Hounds' lead to three with a layup just 30 seconds later. Following a made three by the Lions, both teams went quiet for about three minutes until the Lions outscored the Hounds 6-3 for the remaining minutes of the quarter which gave the Lions a three-point lead (12-9) headed into the second quarter.
- The Lions started the second quarter and extended their lead to 14-9 when Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) made a three just 16 seconds later to get the Hounds within three again. A Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) layup tied the game at 14 with 8:12 remaining in the half. Both teams traded baskets the remainder of the half while Hawkins made two free throws with 25 seconds left for the Hounds to tie the game at 23 headed into halftime.
- Molloy jumped out on a 5-0 run after halftime to take a 27-23 lead before Capaccione answered for the Hounds with a layup and a jump shot to tie the game at 27 with 8:07 remaining in the quarter. The game was tied three more times before the Lions went on another 5-0 rally to take the lead with 1:38 left in the third. Golden made a three for Assumption with 26 seconds left to lessen the Lions' lead to two headed into the fourth quarter.
- Assumption gained momentum with 6:25 left in the game when they went on a 9-0 run to take a four-point lead, their largest lead since the first quarter. The Lions fought back to tie the game at 50 after a Gabriella Aspuru layup with 2:53 remaining. The Hounds answered with a 6-0 rally that ended with a Lions' free throw with just 43 seconds left in the game. Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) sealed the win with a layup with 33 seconds left followed by a Cramb free throw in the final two seconds to give the Hounds the 59-51 win over Molloy.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Golden was the leading scorer for the Hounds with 13 points followed by O'Donnell and Capacchione who both contributed 11. Capacchione earned a double-double in the game with 10 rebounds while Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) earned 10 points and three assists.
- Melody Prichard led the Lions with 14 points and six rebounds while Ellen Iversen earned 11 points and nine rebounds. Ihnacinse Grady led the Lions with three assists and contributed six points and three rebounds in the game as well.
- The Hounds shot 41.8 percent from the floor, 22.2 percent from three and 52.9 percent from the foul line while earning 40 rebounds, 11 assists, eight blocks and eight steals. The Lions shot 33.3 percent from the field, 36.4 percent from three and 64.7 percent from the free throw line while also earning 34 rebounds, eight assists, three blocks and 11 steals.
- Capachione was also named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 11.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists over the two contests to help the Hounds go 1-1.
- Assumption is back on their home court on Saturday, January 5, for a conference matchup with American International at 1:30 p.m.