- Score: U. Sciences 63, Assumption 54
- Records: Philadelphia Sciences (10-0, 2-0 CACC), Assumption (8-4, 5-2 NE10),
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Merkert Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a quick start only for University of the Sciences to lead by eight at the half. The Hounds fought back, but were unable to take the lead and fell to the undefeated Devils 63-54.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first minute of play, Assumption took a four-point lead following two post points by Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) and Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie). Sciences responded with their own 8-0 run to take a four-point lead themselves (8-4). The Devils ended the quarter in a 7-5 rally to take a 15-9 lead headed into the second quarter.
- The Devils extended their lead to 10 with 8:47 remaining in the second after a Taylor Hamm layup. Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) answered for the Hounds with a three-pointer and two free throws to lessen the Devils' lead to five (19-14). Sciences outscored Assumption 8-7 for the remainder of the half to head into halftime with an eight-point lead (29-21).
- The Hounds came out in the second half and scored the first five points of the half after a three by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) to lessen the Devils' lead to three (29-26). Back-to-back threes for the Devils with 31 seconds remaining led them to a 41-32 lead that was answered by Capacchione with her own three. The Devils went down the floor and made a buzzer-beater three that extended their lead to nine headed into the fourth quarter (44-35).
- Irisa Ye of the Devils scored the first basket of the fourth which extended their lead to eleven, the largest of the game. Capacchione answered once again for the Hounds with a three-pointer to make the game 46-38. The Hounds fought back for the remainder of the game only to be outscored by the Devils 17-16, which led the Devils to their nine-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hawkins led Assumption with 15 points and seven rebounds while O'Donnell contributed 13 points and five rebounds and Capacchione added twelve points and two rebounds. Ye was the leading scorer for the Devils with 19, followed by Jess Huber with 11 and Colleen Walsh with nine.
- Assumption shot 37.0 percent from the floor, 33.3 percent from three and 73.7 percent from the foul line in today's matchup while earning 28 rebounds, 12 assists, six blocks and two steals.
- Sciences shot 38.9 percent from the field, 37.9 percent from three and 66.7 percent from the foul line while adding 38 rebounds, 14 assists, three blocks and five steals.
- Assumption is back on the court for the second day of the Stonehill Holiday Classic on Sunday, December 30, at 1:30 p.m. against Molloy.