- Score: No. 8 Stonehill 74, Assumption 63
- Records: Stonehill (23-2, 19-1 NE10), Assumption (9-16, 6-14 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Paula Sullivan Court)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by as many as 22 points in the second half, though they mounted a late game comeback to pull within ten, before ultimately falling 74-63 to No. 8 Stonehill on Saturday afternoon in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams traded baskets over the first four minutes of the contest, with a Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) layup pulling the Assumption within two, 10-8. Stonehill went on an 8-1 run to push its lead to nine, 18-9, at 1:58, but the Hounds scored the last four points to trail 18-13 after one period.
- Assumption started the second on a on a 4-2 run to cut the deficit to just 20-17 at 7:32. The Skyhawks responded by holding the Hounds scoreless for the next four minutes while building their lead to nine points. Assumption ended the run on a free throw and teams traded baskets over the final three minutes of the quarter as the visitors trailed 37-26 at the break.
- O'Donnell made it a nine-point game just 11 seconds into the third, but Stonehill managed to extend its advantage to 48-34 with seven minutes left. The Skyhawks pushed their lead as high as 19 points with 1:25 and a three in the final seconds provided a 62-40 advantage through three quarters.
- Assumption trimmed it to 19 points on an Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) triple at 7:11, which jumpstarted a 12-4 over the next four minutes as the Hounds cut it to just 14. Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) pulled Assumption within ten, 73-63, with 1:33 left, but the Hounds couldn't get any closer as Stonehill held on for the 11-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 38.6 percent from the floor, including 4 of 16 from downtown and 15-for-21 from the free throw line. Stonehill made 46.7 percent of its field goal attempts, as well as 7-for-17 from beyond the arc. The Skyhawks also head a 41-34 rebounding advantage.
- Morgan O'Donnell scored a career-high 25 points with five rebounds, two blocks and one steal in just 22 minutes, while Kiera O'Donnell added ten points and seven boards. Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) chipped in six points, four assists and three rebounds.
- Kelly Martin did a bit of everything, with 15 points, nine rebounds, five steals and two assists, while Grace Carter added 12 points and three assists off the bench.
- Assumption concludes its season on Tuesday when the team hosts Southern New Hampshire at 5:30 pm. The team will honor its seniors before the contest.