- Score: Assumption 56, Molloy 50
- Records: Assumption (3-8, 1-6 NE-10), Molloy (6-7, 1-2 ECC)
- Location: Rockville, N.Y. (Quealy Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College women's basketball team traveled to Long Island and left with a victory, defeating Molloy 56-50, as junior Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) posted a double-double of 16 points and 11 rebounds to go with 4 assists. Sophomore Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J. / Washington Township) also recorded a career high with 15 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption started the game on fire, opening with back-to-back three pointers by senior Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) and classmate Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) to take a 6-0 lead. The Hounds added to their lead when M. O'Donnell scored six consecutive points to open up a 12-1 lead over Molloy with 5:43 left in the first quarter. The Lions outscored Assumption 11-4 over the remaining five minutes, closing the first quarter with a score of 16-12 in favor of the Hounds.
- Molloy rallied to take the lead in the beginning of the second quarter, rattling off six straight points to take an 18-16 lead. K. O'Donnell stopped the bleeding with back-to-back three pointers for the Hounds, before M. O'Donnell made a driving layup to increase the lead to 24-18. Much like the ending to the first quarter, the Lions turned up the pressure to end the half, going on a 12-0 run to head to the locker-room up 30-24.
- Sophomore Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass. / North Middlesex Regional) opened the third quarter with a three pointer, followed by two baskets by M. O'Donnell and a layup by junior Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) to give the Hounds a 33-32 lead. The two teams traded buckets before McKanna and Capacchione canned a pair of three pointers, ending the third quarter with the Hounds leading 43-36.
- Molloy outscored Assumption 13-12 in the fourth quarter, but the Hounds went a perfect 8-for-8 at the free throw line, led by Capacchione's 6-for-6 effort. Capacchione also added a three pointer in the quarter to record nine of her career high 15 points in the fourth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- M. O'Donnell registered her fourth double-double of the season (16 points, 11 rebounds) to up her averages on the year to a team leading 12.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game. K. O'Donnell just missed out on her second consecutive double-double, posting nine points and 10 rebounds. Capacchione added a career high 15 points to go with three rebounds and two assists.
- Gabriella Aspuru led Molloy with a stat line of 11 points, six rebounds and two steals, while Melody Prichard chipped in with 12 points and four rebounds. McKayla Hernandez had a solid all-around game for the Lions, recording seven points, five rebounds, five assists and four steals.
- As a team, Assumption shot 36.0% (18-50) from the field and 37.5% (9-24) from beyond the arc. Molloy shot 32.3% (21-65) from the floor and 23.8% (5-21) from three point land.
- Assumption lost the turnover battle, 19-13, while converting those turnovers into 17 points. The Hounds also outrebounded the Lions, 38-37, including a 30-23 edge on the defensive glass.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday, January 3rd as the Hounds travel to Adelphi for a NE10 matchup with tip-off tentatively set for 5:30 p.m.