- Score: Saint Anselm 55, Assumption 45
- Records: Saint Anselm (3-1, 2-0 NE10), Assumption (0-2, 0-2 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H.
- The Lead: Assumption wasn't able to get in an offensive rhythm this afternoon and Saint Anselm came away with a 55-45 victory in Manchester on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption tied up the game 5-5 with 4:20 left in the first, and then Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) evened it up at eight apiece one minute later. It was tied after a Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) three-point play with 12 seconds left, but the Hawks made a jumper with just two seconds left for a 13-11 lead after one.
- The second quarter was back-and-forth, with a triple from Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) giving Assumption a 21-20 lead with 4:00 minutes left. Saint Anselm responded with a 9-2 run to end the half in front by a 29-23 margin.
- The Hounds trailed 31-25 to open the third, before a 10-2 run by the Hawks gave them a 41-27 lead with just over three minutes left. Assumption closed the gap to seven in the final two minutes but went into the fourth trailing 44-36.
- Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass. / North Middlesex Regional) trimmed the deficit to just 46-41 at 8:33. However, Saint Anselm held Assumption scoreless over the next five minutes and slowly extended its lead, as high as 12 before finishing with the 55-45 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 31.6 percent from the floor and 3 of 11 from downtown while the Hawks made 33.9 percent of their shots and were 5-for-25 from beyond the arc. They also held a 45-35 edge on the boards.
- O'Donnell led the team with 14 points, nine rebounds and four assists before fouling out. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass. / St. Mary's) added eight points and nine boards while Cramb chipped in five points and LeBlanc had eight.
- Shannon Ryan led Saint Anselm with 22 points, ten rebounds and six blocked shots.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team will host Bentley at 5:30 pm.