- Score: Assumption 68, Franklin Pierce 49
- Record: Assumption (19-7, 14-7 NE10), Franklin Pierce (3-23, 1-20 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
The Lead: All six Assumption seniors scored on senior day while Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn. / East Lyme) surpassed 1000 career points to lead the Hounds to a 68-49 victory over Franklin Pierce on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to 14-5 lead off back-to-back triples by Kelly Carey (Long Beach, N.Y. / Holy Trinity) midway through the period. Stoddard added five points in the early run to give her 1,001 for her career. Franklin Pierce pulled back within six after a three and eventually trailed just 15-11 after one period.
- Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine / Greely) opened the second with a layup, but Ravens closed within four, 19-15, at 6:46. Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass. / North Middlesex Regional) answered with a three from wing, though Franklin Pierce cut it to 22-19 with 4:14 left and trailed 26-23 just a minute later. Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) doubled the lead with a trey at 2:45 to start an 8-0 run to go into the break with a 34-23 advantage.
- Assumption scored the first four points of the third and eventually extended its lead to 18, 43-25, points on a pair of Carey free throws at 5:21. Franklin Pierce answered with ten straight points over the next four minutes to make it just 43-35 with 48 seconds left. However, Stoddard was fouled with no time left on the clock on a three-point attempt and connected on all three shots for a 46-35 lead.
- Stoddard opened the fourth with a triple, but a run by the Ravens left them down just 54-43 at 6:36. Stoddard answered with a three and McKanna made a long two for the 16-point advantage midway through the period. The Hounds extended their lead as high as 22 points in the final minutes before finishing with the 19-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 41.1 percent from the floor and hit 11 of 26 threes while going 11-for-12 from the free throw line. Franklin Pierce was limited to just 30.9 percent shooting but did make 6 of 14 attempts from beyond the arc.
- The Hounds held a dominant 47-28 rebounding edge while their bench outscored the Ravens 17-4. The home team also scored 24 points off turnovers.
- Stoddard scored 20 points with one assist while Jo Impellizeri (Seaford, N.Y. / St. Anthony's) flirted with a triple-double to the tune of 10 points, 11 rebounds, six assists, three steals and two blocks.
- Carey finished with 11 points and six assists while McKanna chipped in with 10 points and seven rebounds. Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) grabbed 14 rebounds in 24 minutes.
- Stoddard's 20 points on the evening gave her 1,016 for her career. She is the 23rd player in program history to surpass 1000 points and the first since Katy Howard in 2013.
- Assumption has its second five-game win streak of the season and hasn't allowed more than 50 points in any of those contests. The Hounds ranked fourth in the nation in scoring defense entering the game and lowered it to 54.3 in the win.
- Assumption returns to action on Sunday in the NE10 Quarterfinals when the team hosts Le Moyne at 3 pm.