- Score: Assumption 64, Saint Michael's 50
- Record: Assumption (18-7, 13-7 NE10), Saint Michael's (12-13, 10-10 NE10)
- Location: Colchester, Vt. (Ross Sports Center)
The Lead: Assumption trailed 46-40 with 6:30 left in regulation before scoring 17 unanswered points, and finished the contest on a 24-4 run to come away with an impressive 64-50 victory over Saint Michael's on Saturday afternoon in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption opened the game on a 10-4 run, with two Kelly Carey (Long Beach, N.Y. / Holy Trinity) free throws at 5:24 providing the six-point cushion. Saint Michael's closed within five with 3:15 left in the period at 13-8, but the Hounds scored the final five points of the quarter, punctuated by a Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) trey for an 18-8 lead.
- Trailing 20-10, the Purple Knights used a 12-3 run to close the gap to just 23-22 with 2:50 left in the period. Jo Impellizeri (Seaford, N.Y. / St. Anthony's) made a free throw 14 seconds later for a two-point lead and Assumption eventually went into the half leading 26-24.
- Carey opened up the third with a three, but 12 consecutive points by Saint Michael's over the next five minutes gave the home team a 36-29 advantage. Assumption answered by finishing the quarter on an 8-4 run to trail just 40-37 going into the fourth.
- The Purple Knights scored the first basket of the fourth to increase their lead to five and led 46-40 with 6:30 remaining in regulation. A pair of Impellizeri free throws jumpstarted 17 unanswered points by the Hounds to increase their lead to 57-46 on a pair of O'Brien free throws with just 1:05 left. Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn. / East Lyme) then went 7-for-8 from the free throw line in the final minute for the eventual 14-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot just 28.8 percent from the floor but made 7 of 20 three-pointers and was an impressive 27-for-31 from the free throw line. Saint Michael's meanwhile made 29.5 percent of its shots and was 0 of 14 from downtown while making 14 of 18 free throw attempts.
- The Purple Knights held a 46-37 rebounding edge, but turned the ball over 14 times and their bench was outscored 20-9.
- O'Brien paced the offense with 19 points and four rebounds while Stoddard added 18 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- Impellizeri was dominant inside with 11 rebounds, seven points and two blocks while Carey chipped in 11 points and six rebounds.
- Emily Ferreri led Saint Michael's with 14 points, 11 rebounds, seven assists and two steals in the loss.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team hosts Franklin Pierce at 5:30 pm. The team will honor its six seniors prior to tip-off.