- Score: Assumption 58, St. Thomas Aquinas 55
- Record: Assumption (12-4), St. Thomas Aquinas (13-5)
- Location: Sparkill, N.Y. (Aquinas Hall Gym)
The Lead: Sophomore Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) had a block and a steal in the final 15 seconds while Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn. / East Lyme) made the eventual game-winning jumper with 26 seconds left as Assumption earned a hard-fought 58-55 road victory over St. Thomas Aquinas on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Nursing a slight 53-52 lead going into the final minute, Stoddard gave the Hounds some breathing room with a jumper with 51 seconds left. St. Thomas Aquinas responded with a three-point play to tie the game, however, Stoddard connected on another jumper with just 26 seconds remaining for a 57-55 lead. The Spartans' attempt at a game-winner came up short as O'Donnell blocked a layup with 16 seconds left and then stole the ball ten seconds later. Stoddard made one free throw for the three-point final score.
- In the first, Assumption led 6-4 through five minutes on a layup by O'Donnell, but St. Thomas Aquinas came back to take a 9-8 lead two minutes later. The Hounds finished the period on a 9-5 run to lead 17-13 after one period.
- The Spartans countered with their own run to take a two-point lead before Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) tied it at 19 apiece. They extended their lead to 26-22 over the next five minutes, until Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine / Greely) made a layup at 2:31. Assumption outscored St. Thomas Aquinas 4-1 over the final two minutes for a 28-27 advantage through 20 minutes.
- The Hounds opened the third on a 9-6 run to extend its lead to 37-33 after four minutes. However, the Spartans' full-court pressure kept Assumption off the board while they scored five straight for a 38-37 lead with 2:49 left. The Hounds ended the drought, but St. Thomas Aquinas took a 43-40 lead into the fourth.
- Assumption scored the first four points of the fourth and eventually grabbed a 52-48 lead on an O'Donnell jump shot at 4:38. The Spartans responded with four straight, before a free throw by Jo Impellizeri (Seaford, N.Y. / St. Anthony's) provided a 53-52 advantage with 1:30 remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds shot 44.0 percent from the floor but was just 4 of 16 from downtown. They did hold St. Thomas Aquinas to only 25.9 percent shooting and 4 for 20 from beyond the arc. Assumption also held a 36-35 edge on the boards and outscored the Spartans in the paint 32-16.
- O'Donnell posted 14 points, four rebounds, one steal and one block while Stoddard had a team-high 18 points with six assists and three rebounds. Storey added seven points and four boards.
- Jenna Erickson scored a team-high 18 for the home team while Kaitlyn McCue had nine points and ten rebounds.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team travels to face Pace at 3:30 pm.