- Event: Merrimack Dual Meet
- Place: 2nd
- Dates: April 18, 2019
- Location: North Andover, Mass.
- The Lead: The Assumption men's track & field team competed against Merrimack in a dual meet on Thursday afternoon, taking second place to the host Warriors.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin) grabbed a second place finish in the 400 meters with a time of 48.59 meters, followed by Tom Helms (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) in fourth with a time of 52.35 seconds. Pirtle then had an impressive comeback as part of the 4x400 relay, running down Merrimack on the final straightaway to come away with a victory by just 0.41 seconds with a final time of 3:26.55. Kyle Belmonte (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill), Christopher Carey (South Dennis, Mass. / Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Anthony Marini (Ipswich, Mass. / Ipswich) made up the rest of the quartet.
- In the 800 meters, junior Daniel DeLuca (Riverside, R.I / East Providence) earned a third place finish with his time of 2:02.42, while Andrew Mongiat (Waterboro, Maine / Massabesic) was fourth in 2:05.85. Mongiat also took third in the 1500 meter run with his time of 4:08.30. Nik Reygadas (Warwick, R.I. / Toll Gate) was second in 4:07.13 while Andrew Lamb (Marshfield, Mass. / Marshfield) took fourth with a time of 4:15.78.
- Carey placed second in the 400 meter hurdles with his time of 57.62 seconds while Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable) was fourth in 59.13 seconds. Donoghue then won the long jump with a leap of 6.37 meters, while Derek Girouard (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) placed third. Donoghue also placed first in the triple jump with a distance of 13.28 meters.
- In the shot put, Kristopher Selanis (Athol, Mass. / Athol) took first with his toss of 14.89 meters. Senior Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass. / Auburn) was second in 14:02 meters while William Bennett (Tewksbury, Mass. / Tewksbury) placed fourth (13.36m). Bennett then grabbed a second place finish in the discus with his toss of 36.56 meters.
- Senior John Plisko (Moosic, Pa. / Riverside) won the javelin with a heave of 50.82 meters, Jeffrey Chicca (Westport, Mass. / Bishop Stang) placed third in 49.63 meters. Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc) was fourth in 47.81 meters while Daniel Florendo (Scotch Plains, N.J. / Union Catholic Regional) was fifth (44.78m). Florendo took third in the hammer throw with a distance of 36.24 meters.
- Sophomore Shawn Scullion (Candiac, Que. / Heritage Regional) finished third in the 5000 meters with his time of 15:44.60. Brendan Carter (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) placed third in the 3000 meter steeplechase with a time of 10:31.18.
- The team returns to action on April 27 when they compete at the Skyhawk Invitational.