- Event: Ocean State Invitational |Penmen Relays
- Place: 3rd/14
- Dates: April 12 & 13, 2019
- Location: Providence, R.I. | Springfield, Mass.
- The Lead: The Assumption men's track & field team had numerous strong finishes at the Ocean State Invite on Friday and one new school record on Saturday at the Penmen Relays hosted by Southern New Hampshire.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On Friday in the Ocean State Invitational, junior Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin) placed seventh in the 800 meters with a time of 1:52.89. The time is the fourth fastest in the region this year.
- In the first relay of the Penmen Relays, Assumption won the sprint medley relay by nearly two seconds with a school-record time of 3:32.88. Tom Helms (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) led off, followed by Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin), J. Scott MacDuffie (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) and Anthony Marini (Ipswich, Mass. / Ipswich).
- Pirtle then won the 400 meters in 49.58 seconds. In the 800 meters, junior Daniel DeLuca (Riverside, R.I / East Providence) placed sixth with a time of 1:59.1.
- Senior Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass. / Auburn) had his best meet of the season, winning the shot put with a throw of 14.40 meters. Junior William Bennett (Tewksbury, Mass. / Tewksbury) was behind him in fifth with a throw of 14.13 meters. Bruso then took 10th in the discus with a distance of 36.96 meters.
- In the mile, Andrew Mongiat (Waterboro, Maine / Massabesic) led the team with a fourth place finish in 4:32.54, while William Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) was sixth in 4:35.54. Sophomore Andrew Lamb (Marshfield, Mass. / Marshfield) then came through with a sixth place finish in the 5000 meters with a time of 15:46.35 and Ryan Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) was ninth in 15:50.06.
- Senior John Plisko (Moosic, Pa. / Riverside) took second in the javelin with a throw of 58.12 meters, nearly three meters better than his mark a week ago. Junior Jeffrey Chicca (Westport, Mass. / Bishop Stang) was close behind in fourth with his toss of 52.94 meters.
- In the 3000 meter steeplechase, sophomore Shawn Scullion (Candiac, Que. / Heritage Regional) placed third overall with his time of 9:57.95. Samuel Baker (Bedford, Mass. / Shawsheen Tech) earned a fifth place finish in the triple jump with his distance of 12.96 meters.
- The team returns to action on Thursday afternoon when they compete in an a dual meet at Merrimack.