- Race: Merrimack Dual Meet
- Result: Merrimack 106, Assumption 100
- Location: North Andover, Mass.
- The Lead: The Assumption men's track & field team was narrowly edged out by Merrimack in yesterday's dual meet, as the Warriors squeaked past the Hounds 106-100.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin) won the 400 meter dash with a new school record time of 49.00 seconds to highlight the day for the Hounds.
- Freshman Joseph Santos (Warwick, R.I. / Bishop Hendricken) set a new school record in the 110 meter hurdles, placing second with a time of 15.23 seconds. Classmate Antonio Di Genova (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) finished third in the race with a time of 15.51 seconds.
- The 4x400 meter relay consisting of Pirtle, senior Jeremy Alley-Tarter (Oak Bluffs, Mass. / Martha's Vineyard), sophomore Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin) and senior Anthony Iannone (Whitman, Mass. / Whitman-Hanson Regional) set a new school record after placing first with a time of 3:22.17.
- Junior Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass. / Auburn) won a pair of events at the dual meet, claiming the shot put with a distance of 46 feet, 8.25-inches and the discus with a toss of 131 feet. Sophomore William Bennett (Tewksbury, Mass. / Tewksbury memorial) placed third in the shot put, recording a distance of 42 feet, 4-inches.
- In the 800 meter run, sophomore William Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) and senior Ian Flanagan (North Attleboro, Mass. / North Attleboro) placed first and second with times of 1:59.41 and 2:00.67, respectively.
- Freshman Derek Girouard (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) won the pole vault after clearing a height of 13 feet, 1.5-inches, while classmate Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable) won the triple jump (44 feet, 2.5-inches) and placed third in the long jump (21 feet, 1.5-inches).
- Iannone claimed the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 56.25 seconds, while sophomore Cameron Behn (Amherst, N.H / Souhegan) placed third in 57.83 seconds.
- The 4x100 meter relay consisting of Field, Santos, J. Scott MacDuffie (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) and Thomas placed second with a time of 43.71 seconds.
- In the 200 meter dash, Field and Santos finished second and third with times of 23.09 seconds and 23.49 seconds, respectively.
- Sophomore Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional) recorded a pair of top-three finishes, placing second in the high jump with a height of 6 feet, .75-inches, before finishing third in the discus with a toss of 113 feet, 7-inches.
- Sophomore Elijah Fossas (Dudley, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) raced to a second place finish in the 1500 meter run with a time of 4:01.20, while freshman Jonathan Wahl (Chepachet, R.I. / Ponaganset) placed second in the 5000 meter run in 15:34.89.
-In the hammer, junior Daniel Florendo (Scotch Plains, N.J. / Union Catholic Regional) recorded a second place finish with a distance of 94 feet, 8-inches. Bruso joined him in the event and finished third with a distance of 92 feet, 5-inches.
- Sophomore Jeffrey Chicca (Westport, Mass. / Bishop Stang) placed second in the javelin with a toss of 164 feet, 6-inches.
- In the 3000 meter steeplechase, freshman Shawn Scullion (Candiac, Que. / Heritage Regional) finished third with a time of 10:15.62.