- The Lead: At the Skyhawk Invitational on Saturday at Stonehill College, the Assumption College men's track and field team set four school records and finished third out of 10 schools with a total of 152 points. The Hounds defeated Division I opponents Bryant, Boston University, Harvard and Boston College in the meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the 800 meters, sophomore Jeremy Alley-Tarter (Oak Bluffs, Mass./Martha's Vineyard) broke his own school record by .82 seconds as he won the event in a time of 1:55.23. Alley-Tarter was also a member of the record-setting 4x400 meter relay team that set the school mark by .13 seconds. That team was made up of Alley-Tarter, junior Darnell Butler (Hudson, Mass./Hudson), sophomore Luares Tavares (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) and freshman Jerry Kenney (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) as the group finished in 3:27.80.
- In the field events, graduate student Eddy Frazier (Worcester, Mass./Burncoat) set the school record in the triple jump by four inches as he won the event with a leap of 45 feet, 8.5 inches. Tavares finished second as he posted a jump of 44 feet, 5.25 inches. The final school record came in the hammer throw as sophomore Alex Cerbo (Cranston, R.I./Bishop Hendricken) placed second at 168 feet, 10 inches to break the previous mark by two feet, four inches. Sophomore Danny Tyszka (Coventry, Conn./Coventry) finished fifth in the event as well with a personal-best throw of 138 feet, eight inches as he broke 40 meters for the first time collegiately.
- The Hounds dominated the 100 meters as the team had the top three finishers in the event. Butler led the way with a time of 11.09 to win, followed by Frazier in second at 11.13 and Tavares in third with a time of 11.20. Butler also finished second in the 200 meters as he ran a time of 22.77.
- Sophomore Ian Flanagan (North Attleboro, Mass./North Attleboro) was second in the 3,000 meters in 9:09.06, while sophomore Andrew Churchill (Hubbardston, Mass./Quabbin Regional) placed second in the 110-meter hurdles in a time of 16.98 seconds. The 4x100 relay team of Butler, Frazier, Tavares and sophomore Tyis Boykin (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) won that event as the squad ran 42.64.
- Cerbo also placed second in the shot put with a throw of 44 feet, 11.5 inches as he was followed in fifth place by freshman Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass./Auburn) at 42 feet, 11 inches. Bruso also had a fourth-place finish in the discus with a toss of 120 feet, two inches.
- In the javelin, freshman John Plisko (Moosic, Pa./Riverside) led the team in second place at 175 feet, nine inches as junior Tim Jensen (Manchester, Conn./East Catholic) also placed fifth at 146 feet, eight inches.
- Assumption is back in action on Friday-Saturday, May 6-7 at the Northeast-10 Conference Championship at American International College.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's track and field team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.