- The Lead: At the Bears Invitational on Saturday, sophomore Luares Tavares (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) broke the program's triple jump record for the second straight meet and the Assumption College men's track and field program posted 16 top-10 finishes and won two events.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the triple jump, Tavares finished second overall and he posted a leap of 45 feet, 3.5 inches to break his own record by 11.5 inches as he previously broke a 42-year old mark at the Coach O Coastal Carolina Invitational over spring break.
- Sophomore Jeremy Alley-Tarter (Oak Bluffs, Mass./Martha's Vineyard) won the 400 meters in 51.79, while the Assumption 4x100 meter relay team crossed in first place in a time of 43.65 to win the event by 1.26 seconds.
- In the field events, sophomore Alex Cerbo (Cranston, R.I./Bishop Hendricken) posted two top-five finishes in the hammer throw and shot put. In the shot, Cerbo was second in 44 feet, 6.25 inches as freshman Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass./Auburn) placed seventh with a toss of 39 feet, six inches. In the hammer, Cerbo was third in 154 feet, nine inches while sophomore Danny Tyszka (Coventry, Conn./Coventry) was sixth at 131 feet, one inch as he posted a PR of over eight feet.
- Graduate student Eddy Frazier (Worcester, Mass./Burncoat) finished second in the long jump at 20 feet, three inches, while Tavares was third at 19 feet, 9.5 inches. In the discus, sophomore Jason Rice (North Andover, Mass./North Andover) was fourth overall as he threw 121 feet in the event.
- Frazier was also second in the 100 meters at 11.21, while junior Darnell Butler (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) placed third in 11.58. In the 200, Tavares was second at 22.91 seconds while sophomore Tyis Boykin (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) crossed in fifth in 23.29.
- Other top 10's included sophomore Ian Flanagan (North Attleboro, Mass./North Attleboro) placing fourth in the 5,000 meters in 15:52.58, freshman Daniel McDermott (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) in fifth in the 800 at 2:06.80 and a sixth-place finish by sophomore hurdler Andrew Churchill (Hubbardston, Mass./Quabbin Regional) in 17.51 in the 110-meter event.
- Assumption is back in action on April 2nd as the Hounds travel to the Jim Sheehan Memorial at Fitchburg State University.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's track and field team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.