- The Lead: In the season-opening outdoor meet hosted by Coastal Carolina University, the Assumption College men's track and field team set two school records as the Hounds had a successful opening weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Luares Tavares (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) broke a long-standing record in the triple jump as he lept 44 feet, four inches. The jump broke the previous mark by 13 inches as he placed fifth overall as that record stood for 42 years.
- In the 4x800 meter relay, the Hounds shattered the record by nearly 20 seconds as the team of sophomore Ian Flanagan (North Attleboro, Mass./North Attleboro), freshman Andrew Mongiat (Waterboro, Maine/Massabesic), freshman Daniel McDermott (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) and sophomore Jeremy Alley-Tarter (Oak Bluffs, Mass./Martha's Vineyard) ran a time of 8:16.11 to finish 10th and break the previous record by 19.46 seconds.
- In the hammer throw, sophomore Alex Cerbo (Cranston, R.I./Bishop Hendricken) finished seventh as he threw 152 feet, five inches. Freshman Daniel Florendo (Scotch Plains, N.J./Union Catholic Regional) picked up a 10th-place finish in the javelin as he posted a throw of 152 feet, 10.5 inches.
- In addition to his two jumping records, Tavares finished fourth in the 400 meters with a time of 52.13 seconds, while sophomore Tyis Boykin (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) was 10th in the 200 with a time of 23.32 seconds.
- Alley-Tarter finished ninth in the 800 meters with a time of 1:57.75, while the 4x100 relay team of sophomore Andrew Churchill (Hubbardston, Mass./Quabbin Regional), Boykin, Tavares and junior Darnell Butler (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) finished eighth in 43.22.
- Assumption is back in action on March 26th as the Hounds travel to the Bears Invitational at Bridgewater State University.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's track and field team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.