- The Lead: In the most successful weekend in the program's history, the Assumption College men's track and field team set six school records as the Hounds competed at the John Thomas Invitational at BU and the University of Southern Maine Invitational. As a team at Southern Maine, the Hounds placed third out of eight teams with a total of 78 points. For the season, the Assumption men have now set 10 indoor school records under third-year head coach Stacie Wentz.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At Southern Maine, sophomore Alex Cerbo (Cranston, R.I./Bishop Hendricken) picked up victories in both the shot put and the weight throw, including a school-record toss of 15.91 meters in the weight throw. Four Hounds scored in both the weight throw and the shot, including a runner-up finish in the shot by freshman Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass./Auburn) at 13.06 meters. Junior Tim Jensen (Manchester, Conn./East Catholic) placed third in the weight throw at 13.64 meters, while senior Nathan Smith (Piermont, N.H./St. Johnsbury Academy) was third in the shot at 13.01 meters. Sophomore Danny Tyszka (Coventry, Conn./Coventry) finished sixth in the weight throw with a toss of 12.13 meters, along with sophomore Joseph Bretta (Westborough, Mass./Westborough) earning points in the shot put at 11.81 meters.
- The other school record which fell at Southern Maine was the program's 55-meter hurdles mark as sophomore Andrew Churchill (Hubbardston, Mass./Quabbin Regional) finished third overall in 8.11 to break the record by .13 seconds.
- At Boston University, the Hounds earned the school record in the triple jump, along with the 200 meters, 500 meters and 800 meters. Graduate student Eddy Frazier (Worcester, Mass./Burncoat) placed second in his flight of the triple jump, leaping 46 feet, 4.25 inches to break his own school record by 2.5 inches. He also added a long jump of 21 feet, 2.75 inches, while sophomore Luares Tavares (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) lept 43 feet, five inches in the triple jump.
- In the 200, junior Darnell Butler (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) earned the school record in a time of 22.68 seconds, while sophomore Derek Field (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) set the 500-meter record in 1:07.34. Sophomore Jeremy Alley-Tarter (Oak Bluffs, Mass./Martha's Vineyard) became the school record holder in the 800 meters, crossing in a time of 1:57.07.
- At Southern Maine, freshman Daniel McDermott (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) earned his first collegiate victory with a time of 2:44.14 to win the 1,000 meters. Freshman Andrew Mongiat (Waterboro, Maine/Massabesic) finished third in the mile in 4:36.14, while freshman Joe Baron (Cobleskill, N.Y./Cobleskill-Richmondville) took home fourth place in the 3,000 meters in a time of 9:42.12.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday, February 6th as the Hounds travel to Hanover, N.H. for the Dartmouth Classic beginning at Noon.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's track and field team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.