- Event: NE10 Championship – Day 2
- Results: 1st out of 10 teams
- Location: Worcester, Mass.: Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
- The Lead: The Assumption swimming and diving continues to lead the field after day two, accumulating 329.5 points. Sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) highlighted the day for the Hounds, claiming the 500 freestyle with a new school record.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- During the preliminaries in the morning session, Kurtz qualified first in 500 freestyle with a time of 5:04.34. In the nightcap, Kurtz won the 500 freestyle finals, finishing with a school record time of 5:01.02.
-Several other Hounds also placed in the 500 freestyle final. Junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) finished seventh with a time of 5:08.97. Freshman Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) finished eighth with a time of 5:13.44, while Sophomore Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) placed 11th with a time of 5:13.83. Rounding out the competitors for the Hounds was Junior Kelsey Kozikowski (Berlin, Conn. / Berlin) who placed 13th with a time of 5:14.61.
- Senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) led the Hounds in the 50 freestyle, placing fifth with a time of 24.64 seconds. Sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) also competed in the event, placing sixth in 24.70, while classmate Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) touched in eighth with a time of 24.86.
- In the prelims of the 200 IM, senior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) placed sixth, qualifying for the final with a time of 2:10:61. In the 200 IM final that evening, Morgan finished fifth with a time of 2:09.49.
- Morgan was joined by four teammates in the event. Freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) placed ninth with a time of 2:09.52, while junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) finished tenth with a time of 2:11.40. Freshman Lauren Kuhns (Homer, Alaska / Homer) touched the wall in 13th with a time of 2:12.69 before senior Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) placed 14th with a time of 2:13.32.
- The 400 medley relay closed out the second day of the NE10 Championships, as the Hounds raced to a third place finish. The quartet of Guadalupi, Holmes, senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) and Veroneau combined to finish with a time of 3:56.87.
- Assumption also claimed the 'B' final of the 400 medley relay, as Morgan, Roberts, Kaczor and sophomore Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme) raced to a time of 3:56.65.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- At the conclusion of day two, Assumption leads the field with a point total of 329.5. Southern Connecticut State is close on their heels with 319 points, while Bentley is in third with 265 points.
- Assumption returns to action tomorrow as the 2018 NE10 Championships continues for day three at 10:00 a.m.