- Event: WPI Gompei Invitational
- Results: 2nd out of 13 teams
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI)
- The Lead: The Assumption swimming and diving team concluded the first two days of the WPI Gompei Invitational in second place behind a number of outstanding performances in the pool, led by a new school record in the 50 butterfly by sophomore Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee).
HOW IT HAPPENED: DAY ONE
- Junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) kicked off day one with a first place finish in the 1650 freestyle, as she completed the race with a time of 17:21.71. Sophomore Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) finished fifth in the race, clocking in with a time of 17:45.64.
- In the 50 freestyle, sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) registered a third place finish with a time of 24.36 seconds. Senior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) and classmate Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) raced in the 200 IM and finished ninth and tenth with times of 2:12.74 and 2:14.09, respectively.
- The 800 freestyle relay consisting of sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory), freshman Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony), junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) and Holmes combined to finish second with a time of 7:48.00.
- Senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) and Kaczor competed in the 100 butterfly, as they placed fourth and fifth with times of 58.70 seconds and 58.71 seconds.
- In the 200 breaststroke, The Hounds placed three swimmers in the top ten, as freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) led the way with a sixth place finish with a time of 2:28.95. Nicholls and Morgan finished seventh and eighth, clocking in with times of 2:29.68 and 2:30.74.
- The 200 medley relay team finished fifth, as Guadalupi, Nicholls, Kaczor and Holmes raced their way to a time of 1:48.58.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- At the conclusion of day one, the Hounds sat in second place with 840 points. Bryant owned the top spot with 982 points, WPI in third with 757 points, Rowan in fourth with 668 points and Bentley in fifth with 639 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED: DAY TWO
- Kaczor highlighted day two of the WPI Gompei, breaking the Assumption record in the 50 butterfly with a time of 26.33 seconds. Barr touched the wall right behind Kaczor, clocking in at 26.73 seconds.
- In the 50 backstroke, Guadalupi paced the Hounds with a second place finish in 27.61 seconds, while senior Molly Dillon (Pembroke, Mass. / Pembroke) came in seventh (28.48 seconds) and sophomore Sydney Rangulong (Duxbury, Mass. / Duxbury) finished ninth (28.61 seconds).
- In the 200 freestyle, senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) touched the wall in 1:56.59, good for a fifth place finish.
- Holmes placed fifth in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:08.10, while Morgan finished sixth in the 400 IM, clocking in at 4:36.74. In the 100 backstroke, Guadalupi placed 11th to pace the Hounds, touching the wall in 1:00.12.
- The 200 freestyle relay consisting of Holmes, Nicholls, Kaczor and Veroneau placed 6th with a time of 1:39.22, while the 400 medley relay of Barr, Nicholls, Kaczor and Morgan placed sixth with a time of 4:02.28.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption completed day two in second place with 1862 points. Bryant continues to lead with 2061 points, while Rowan (1524 points), WPI (1369 points) and Bentley (1200) round out the top five.
- The Hounds complete the WPI Gompei Invitational tomorrow as day three will commence at 9:30 a.m.