- Event: University of Rhode Island Invitational
- Results: 3rd out of 6 teams
- Location: Kingston, R.I. (Tootell Aquatic Center)
- The Lead: The Assumption swimming and diving team placed third at the URI invitational today, competing against all NCAA Division I schools.
HOW IT HAPPENED: DAY ONE
- Sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) highlighted the day for the Hounds, as she placed second in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:05.38. Junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) also recorded a top-ten finish, touching the wall in 5:10.86 which was good for seventh.
- In the 200 individual medley, senior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) tied for third with a time of 2:10.31, while Freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) and junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) finished in sixth and seventh with times of 2:12.22 and 2:12.70, respectively.
- The 200 freestyle relay consisting of sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding), Nicholls, sophomore Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee), and senior Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) placed sixth, racing to a time of 1:39.65.
- Holmes also competed in the 50 freestyle where she clocked in with a time of 24.64 seconds which was good for an eighth place finish.
- Morgan, Holmes, Kaczor and freshman Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) combined to finish seventh in the 400 medley relay with a time of 4:02.98.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- At the conclusion of day one, the Hounds sat at fourth place with a point total of 186.5. URI led the pack with 286.5 points, while Providence and Bryant were tied for second with 207 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED: DAY TWO
- Quirk led the Hounds on day two with a second place finish in the 1650 freestyle, completing the race with a time of 17:37.05. Sophomore Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) joined Quirk in the 1650 freestyle and finished sixth with a time of 18:03.10.
- In the 200 freestyle, Kurtz placed third with a time of 1:55.82, while senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) touched the wall in 1:57.31, good for an eighth place finish.
- The Hounds placed two swimmers inside of the top-five of the 200 backstroke, as senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) and Morgan placed third and fourth, finishing with times of 2:07.22 and 2:08.22, respectively.
- Morgan also competed in the 400 IM and raced to a fifth place finish, clocking in at 4:45.11. In the 100 breaststroke, Nicholls recorded a top-ten finish, placing ninth in 1:08.54.
- Two Hounds broke a minute in the 100 butterfly, as Kaczor raced her way to a time of 59.10 seconds, and Barr completed the race in 59.88 seconds. Kaczor placed fourth while Barr finished in eighth.
- Three Hounds registered top-ten finishes in the 200 butterfly, as Kurtz led the way with a time of 2:11.73, good for a sixth place finish. Kaczor followed suit with a time of 2:11.96 (seventh) and junior Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School) finished the race with a time of 2:12.37 (eighth).
- Roberts competed in the 200 breaststroke and finished in fifth place with a time of 2:29.12, while Barr and Guadalupi placed seventh and eighth in the 100 backstroke with times of 59.88 and 59.98.
- The 400 freestyle relay of sophomore Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme), Guadalupi, Veroneau and Kurtz combined to finish fourth with a time of 3:36.89.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption completed the two day invitational in third with 570.5 points, beating division I schools such as Providence (569.5), Holy Cross (493 points) and The University of Maine (415.5). URI won the meet with 788.5 points, while Bryant finished in second with 601 points.
- The Hounds return to action December 1st when they compete in the WPI Gompi Invitational spanning over three days.