- Event: Dual meet against Sacred Heart University
- Results: Assumption 164, Sacred Heart 98
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Plourde Pool)
- The Lead: The Assumption women's swimming & diving team defeated Division I Sacred Heart today, exacting revenge after falling to the Pioneers last year in Connecticut. The Hounds continue their dominance at home, as they have not lost in 19 straight meets, dating back to November 2011.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The 200 yard medley relay set the tone for the meet, as senior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School), sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding), senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon), and junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) teamed up to win with a time of 1:52.49.
- Junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) kept the momentum rolling in the 1650 freestyle, smashing the pool record and winning the race with a time of 17:51.59. Quirk also placed first in the 500 freestyle, clocking in with a time of 5:13.70, while sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) touched the wall right behind her in second with a time of 5:20.65.
- Morgan had an outstanding day in the pool for the Hounds, as the senior won both the 200 backstroke (2:12.43) and the 400 IM (4:48.76). Barr joined Morgan in the 200 backstroke and placed second with a time of 2:12.99.
- Holmes also was victorious in a pair of individual events, claiming the 100 breaststroke in 1:09.27 and the 100 freestyle in 55.42 seconds. Freshmen Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) finished second in the 100 free, touching the wall in 55.48 seconds, while also taking second place in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:01.77.
- Freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) paced Assumption in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:32.94, as Nicholls came in third clocking in with a time of 2:40.15.
- Senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) raced to a second place finish in the 200 freestyle, out-touching Kurtz who placed third with times of 1:59.83 and 1:59.94, respectively. Kurtz also competed in the 200 butterfly and placed second in 2:13.97.
- In the 100 butterfly, sophomore Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) finished second with a time of 1:00.57, while junior Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School) finished third in 1:01.97.
- The 200 freestyle relay of Veroneau, Guadalupi, Kaczor and senior Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) combined to place first with a time of 1:42.10.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption snapped its five year unbeaten streak against Sacred Heart last year, when the Hounds fell 158-120. They won tonight to make it six wins in the past seven dual meets against the Pioneers.
- The Hounds return to action next weekend when they participate in the URI Invitational on Friday and Saturday.