- Score: Assumption 174, Franklin Pierce 59
- Location: Worcester, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption was never really threatened against Franklin Pierce in its first year as a varsity program, while sophomores Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) and Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) each set new pool records in a 174-59 victory on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption opened the meet by taking three of the top four spots in the 200-yard medley relay. The quartet of Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School), Holmes, Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) and Sydney Rangulong (Duxbury, Mass. / Duxbury) won the event with a time of 1:53.07, followed closely by Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony), Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon), Kaczor and Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) in 1:54.04.
- Sophomore Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) won the 1000-yard free with a time of 11:01.59, while Lauren Kuhns (Homer, Alaska / Homer) was second in 11:35.10 and Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School) placed third in 11:35.40
- Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) took first in the 200-yard free, finishing in 1:59.64 and just edging out teammate Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) with her time of 2:00.80.
- Guadalupi came from lane one to just touch before N. Morgan, with her time of 1:02:45. Morgan, meanwhile, touched in 102:71 while Grace Gustinis (Monroe, Conn. / Masuk) was third in 1:03.93.
- In the 100-yard breaststroke, freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) won with her time of 1:12.60, followed closely by Veroneau in 1:14.40.
- Kaczor won the 200-yard butterfly with her time of 2:16.50 while Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) placed second.
One event later it was Rangulong, Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme) and Barr going 1-2-3 in the 50-yard freestyle. In the 100-yard free, Magna won the event in 56.88, followed closely Rangulong in second with a time of 57.44.
- LaQue earned a victory in the 200-yard backstroke with her time of 2:16.35 while Gustinis was close behind her in second. In the 200-yard breast it was Holmes who came away with another victory in 2:35.2, while Morgan and Veroneau rounded out the top three. Quirk then took first in the 500-yard free with a time of 5:16.02
- Kaczor set a new pool record in the 100-yard butterfly, finishing in 1:00.49 and Holmes matched her with a new pool record one event later. Holmes, Nichols and Roberts all broke the old pool record of 1:04.68, with Holmes touching first in 1:02.01.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holmes recorded a pair of individual victories, as she won both the 200 breaststroke and 100 IM, along with taking first in the 200-yard medley relay, while Kaczor took both the 100 & 200-yard butterfly events.
- The victory for Assumption was its 17th straight meet victory in the Plourde Pool, dating back to November of 2011.
- Assumption returns to action on Friday when they compete in the Catholic College Invitational at Boston College.