- Event: Holy Cross Pentathlon
- Results: N/A
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Hart Center)
- The Lead: Sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, MD / Archbishop Spalding) captured her first Holy Cross Pentathlon title on Saturday at the Hart Center in the 2017-18 season opener. Holmes led the Hounds, who claimed 17 out of the top 25 places.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holmes posted a final time of 5:16.99 and nabbed the top spot after finishing in the top two in three of the five events counted for individual scoring. The sophomore earned the gold in the 100 breaststroke (1:09.29), while finishing second in the 100 freestyle (55.37) as well as in the 100 IM (1:04.00). Holmes also raced to a fifth place finish in the 100 backstroke (1:03.04) and was a member of both the 200 yard medley and 200 yard freestyle relay that took the gold.
- Junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) claimed third at the Heptathlon after finishing first in the 100 IM with a pool record of 1:03.14 and fourth in the 100 breaststroke (1:12.64) and the 100 freestyle (56.08). Nichols was also part of the 200 yard freestyle relay that took the gold.
- Sophomore Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) placed sixth overall, highlighted by a second place finish in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:00.56, while seniors Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School), Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) and Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) rounded out the top ten for the Hounds, as they finished in eighth, ninth and tenth, respectively.
- The freshman also had an outstanding day for the Hounds, as Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) recorded a second place finish in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:02.46, while Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) placed second in the 100 breaststroke in 1:12.42.
BEHIND THE RESULTS:
- Holmes claimed the top spot at the Holy Cross Pentathlon for the first time in her career.
- Nicholls broke the pool record in the 100 IM with a time of 1:03.14, previously held by Katherine Medeiros.
- Kaczor broke the pool record in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:00.56, breaking a record held since 2013.
- The Hounds return to action when they host Franklin Pierce for a dual meet starting at 1:00 p.m.