- Score: Saint Anselm 7, Assumption 1 (Game One); Saint Anselm 9, Assumption 4 (Game Two)
- Records: Saint Anselm (31-8, 19-2 NE10), Assumption (20-18, 13-12 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (South Athletic Field)
- The Lead: Assumption was unable to catch up the Saint Anselm in the first game and could not hold on to a two-run lead in the second and dropped both games today.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Saint Anselm started the scoring in the bottom of the second inning when they put runners on second and third with one out. Shannon Colson singled to left field to score the runner on third and then stole second during the next batter. A walk loaded the bases in time for Lauren Washburn to hit a single up the middle and score another run. Jordan O'Connor was out at first on a sacrifice bunt, but scored Colson and Maggie Murphy to give the Hawks a 4-0 lead after two innings.
- The Hawks struck again in the bottom of the third with runners on second and third with one out again. Bailey Cain flied out to right field for a sacrifice fly that scored the runner on third to extend the Hawks' lead to five (5-0).
- Assumption gained some momentum in the top of the fifth when Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) doubled to left center and then Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) singled to second base to advance Mirabell to third. With two outs, Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) reached first on an error while Mirabell scored to earn the Hounds their first run and lessen Saint Anselm's lead to four (5-1).
- In the bottom of the fifth Saint Anselm extended their lead to five again when Maddison Leite hit a two-run homer over left centerfield to make the game 7-1 after five innings. Neither Assumption nor Saint Anselm scored in the final two innings of the game, giving the Hawks the 7-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) took the loss for Assumption pitching three innings with no strikeouts, five walks, five hits and five runs while Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) pitched the remaining three innings with two strikeouts, no walks, four hits and two runs.
- Mirabell, Mazzeo, Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School), and Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) all went 1-for-3 in the batter's box while Mirabell recorded the only double for the Hounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- The Hounds scored the first run of the second game in the top of the third inning. Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) earned a walk and was moved to third first by a sacrifice bunt from Mazzeo and then by a grounder hit to second base by Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School). Drakoulakos struck again in a two out situation when she singled through the left side of the field to score Richards and earn Assumption the early 1-0 lead.
- The Hounds did not hold the lead long when in the bottom of the third the Hawks loaded the bases with two outs. O'Connor stepped up to the plate and singled to right center to score the tying and the go ahead run to give Saint Anselm the 2-1 lead after three innings.
- The Hounds came alive in the top of the fifth inning with Mazzeo starting them off with a double to right field followed by Murphy singling to the pitcher and advancing Mazzeo to third. Murphy stole second right before Drakoulakos singled to left field to score Mazzeo for the tying run. With Murphy on third, Drakoulakos stole second and then Beaton put down a sacrifice bunt that scored Murphy to take a 3-2 lead. Peabody then singled to centerfield and scored Drakoulakos to give Assumption a 4-2 lead headed into the bottom of the fifth.
- Saint Anselm answered quickly in the bottom of the fifth when they put runners on first and third with one out. An error by Assumption allowed the first run to come in and lessen their lead to one (4-3). Back-to-back singles by the Hawks scored the tying run with only one out. A walk followed by two more singles drove in two runs for Saint Anselm to give them a 6-4 lead. Another single scored two runs followed by a wild pitch that scored a run and earned Saint Anselm a 9-4 victory in five innings due to weather.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) took the loss for Assumption pitching 4.2 innings with four strikeouts, three walks, 11 hits and nine runs to a total of 28 batters.
- Both Murphy and Drakoulakos recorded stolen bases in the game while Beaton and Mazzeo earned sacrifice bunts. Beaton and Peabody recorded a single RBI apiece while Drakoulakos led the team with two.
- Mazzeo went 1-for-1 at the plate and recorded the only double for the Hounds while Drakoulakos went 3-for-3 and Murphy, Beaton and Peabody all were 1-for-3 in the box.
- The Hounds are home on Tuesday, April 23, against Bentley at 4 p.m. for their blue out game.