- Score: Assumption 5, Bentley 0 (Game One); Bentley 3, Assumption 0 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (20-15, 13-9 NE10), Bentley (15-20, 11-9 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption dominated play in the first game taking home a 5-0 victory for their 20th win of season before Bentley fought back in the second game and served the Hounds a 3-0 loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Both teams had impeccable defense up until the third inning when Assumption broke through Bentley's defense. Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) singled to centerfield followed by Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) earning a walk to put runners on first and second with no outs. Julia Mazzeo (Milford, Mass./Milford) stepped up the plate and hit a double to centerfield that drove Mirabell in for the first run of the game. Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) brought another run in on a sacrifice fly to right field that scored Richards to end the top of the inning up 2-0.
- The Hounds continued their scoring in the top of the fourth inning when Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) hit a homer over left field to give Assumption a 3-0 lead. Bentley attempted to stir up some runs in the bottom of the fourth with a double hit to centerfield, but was unable to get any runs across.
- Assumption extended their lead in the top of the seventh when Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) singled to right field. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) then hit a two-run homer over centerfield to give the Hounds a 5-0 lead with half an inning left to play. Assumption fended off two singles to earn the 5-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- With this win over Bentley, Assumption earned its 20th win of the season. This is the first time the Hounds have reached this milestone since 2012.
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) earned the win pitching a complete game with five strikeouts, three walks, five hits and no runs. Elisa Pereira of the Falcons took the loss pitching all seven innings with six strikeouts, one walk, five runs, ten hits and two home runs.
- Petrie went 2-for-3 at the plate with a home run while Mazzeo also went 2-for-3 with one RBI and one stolen base. Peabody brought in two RBIs while Drakoulakos earned the other.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Bentley jumped out to an early lead in the second game with a double to centerfield that drove in the first run of the game. The Falcons then generated another run off a single to give them a 2-0 lead after the first inning.
- Assumption had a runner on third with two outs in both the top of the third and fourth innings, but were unable to bring the runners across home plate. In the bottom of the fifth, the Falcons had a runner on third with one out. A single to left field drove the run in to extend Bentley's lead to three (3-0). The Hounds were unable to get any momentum in the final innings and dropped the second game 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) took the loss for Assumption pitching five innings with four strikeouts, one walk, seven hits and three runs before Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) came in. Patriacca pitched one inning with no strikeouts, no walks, no hits and no runs.
- Both Richards and Beaton went 1-for-2 in the box while Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) and Mirabell both were 1-for-3.
- The Hounds are on the road Thursday, April 18, against Saint Anselm for a single game at 4 p.m.