- Score: Merrimack 12, Assumption 8
- Records: Merrimack (16-18, 7-8 NE10), Assumption (18-12, 11-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption fought back to take the lead in the third inning and took a three run lead in the fourth only to be taken to eight innings and outscored in the eighth to fall 12-8 to Merrimack.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Merrimack started off the scoring in the top of the second inning when Nicole Nanof hit a single to left center to advance Kelly Dovi to second. Kristina Terrazzano doubled to left centerfield to drive in the two runners on base and give the Warriors an early 2-0 lead.
- Assumption answered in the bottom of the third inning where Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) got it started with a single to right field and then advancing to second on a wild pitch. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) then walked to put runners on first and second with no outs. Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) then reached first on an error to load the bases with no outs. Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) came up to the plate and put the ball in play to reach first and then advance to second on a throw home while Drakoulakos advanced to second and then third and both Murphy and Mazzeo scored to tie the game 2-2.
- With runners on second and third and no outs in the bottom of the third, Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) reached first on a fielder's choice while Beaton moved to third and Drakoulakos scored to give Assumption a 3-2 lead after three innings.
- The Warriors came out in the top of the fourth inning and loaded the bases after getting two early outs. Bryana Michitson walked to score Dovi and keep the bases loaded. Tiffany Mangiameli then earned a walk and moved everyone around the bases to tie the game 4-4 before Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) forced a fly out to end the inning.
- The Hounds answered quickly in the bottom of the fourth when Drakoulakos singled to left field to allow Mazzeo to advance to third and Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) to score for the go-ahead run. Beaton then hit a sacrifice fly to left field that scored Mazzeo and moved Drakoulakos to second with two outs. Peabody delivered when she hit a two-run homer over left centerfield to put Assumption ahead 7-4 after four innings.
- In the top of the sixth inning, the Warriors struck again when Mangiameli singled to left field to score Terrazzano followed by Abby Amato hitting Jenna Wike around to get within one (7-6). The Hounds extended their lead again in the bottom of the sixth when Murphy hit a double to right center followed by Drakoulakos sacrifice bunting to move Murphy to third. Beaton then doubled to left field to score Murphy and put the Hounds ahead two (8-6) headed into the seventh inning.
- The Warriors fought back in the top of the seventh when Terrazzano hit Nicole Koshes in from third base to bring Merrimack within one of Assumption (8-7). Wike then stepped up to the plate and hit a single up the middle to score Nicole Nanof and tie the game 8-8 headed into the bottom of the seventh. The Hounds were unable to get a runner on second home and sent the game to the eighth inning.
- Merrimack came alive in the eighth inning with runners on second and third with no outs. Caitlin McBride hit a single to centerfield that brought one run home and moved the other runner to third base. Colarusso then singled to the pitcher to score another run and advance the runner to second. The Warriors were up 10-8 when Nanof hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield that brought in Jenna Bradish and moved Dovi to second and Colarusso to third. With one out, Terrazzano hit a sacrifice bunt to score Colarusso and give the Warriors a 12-8 lead headed into the bottom of the eighth. Despite Beaton hitting a single to left field, the Hounds were unable to earn any runs and fell to Merrimack 12-8.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) took the loss for Assumption pitching two innings for one strikeout, six hits and six runs. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) pitched two innings for no strikeouts, one walk, four hits and two runs while Nowicki pitched four innings with no strikeouts, three walks, four hits and four runs.
- Both Richards and Mazzeo went 2-for-3 at the plate while Richards recorded one run and one sacrifice bunt and Mazzeo earned two runs. Peabody recorded three RBIs on the game while Beaton earned four and Drakoulakos took home one. Peabody earned the only home run of the game along with the only stolen base.
- The Hounds are on the road to Southern N.H. on Friday, April 12, for a single game at 4 p.m.