-Scores: Assumption 8, Adelphi 4
-Records: Assumption (10-6, 5-1 NE10), Adelphi (17-14-1, 9-3-1 NE10)
-Location: North Andover, Mass. (Merrimack College)
The Lead: The Assumption College softball team tallied eight runs behind the bats of freshmen Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell High School) and Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, RI / Smithfield HS) and held Adelphi to four runs behind the pitching of senior Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./ Grafton) to beat Adelphi 8-4 for the first time since 2012.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Today's contest featured a lot of fast paced action, including runs in every inning except for the third. Adelphi junior Nicoletta Cuccio kicked off the action by reaching home plate on an error by Assumption in the first, after stealing second the previous at-bat to take the 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the second inning, Assumption's bats went to work scoring five runs. With one out, senior Nicole Duplease (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) was hit by a pitch to get on base. Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H. / Milford) singled to third base to advance Duplease to second, while the next batter Marissa Doherty (Lowell, Mass. / Tewksbury Memorial High School) walked to load the bases. At the top of the order, Brooke Murphy (Salem, NH./ Salem) walked also to move Duplease home. Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell High School) broke the tie with a three-run triple to right field. Sophomore Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional High School) singled to the shortstop to score Drakoulakos and extend the lead to 5-1.
- Adelphi answered with a run of its own in the top of the fourth inning on an RBI triple by Emily Turney, who was then thrown out at the plate by second baseman Murphy ending the inning and keeping the score at 5-2.
- The following inning Assumption added three more runs to stretch their lead with a two-run RBI triple from freshman Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, RI / Smithfield HS), as well as a run scored by Beaton as Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass. / Marlborough) reached first on an error by Adelphi pitcher Jessica Vadala.
- Adelphi went on to score two more runs in the sixth and seventh innings as Brenna Martini hit a home run, and then an RBI single. The Hound defense retired the final batter in the top of the seventh to end the game 8-4.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Roy pitched seven innings, faced 31 batters, and struck out five Panthers while allowing eight hits and two walks. Drakoulakos led the offense with a triple and three RBI, while Beaton added a triple and two RBI.
- The win for Assumption was its first over Adelphi since 2012 and snapped a six-game win streak to the Panthers.
- On Tuesday, April 10, the Hounds will travel to face Bentley in a single NE10 game starting at 4:00 pm.