-Scores: Assumption 3, Saint Michael's 0 (Game One), Assumption 8, Saint Michael's 0 (Game Two)
-Records: Assumption (8-5, 3-0 NE10), Saint Michael's (4-14,1-7 NE10)
-Location: Manchester, N.H.
The Lead: Assumption pitchers Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) and Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass. / St. Marys Lynn) did not allow a run this weekend as the Hounds swept Saint Michael's 3-0 and 8-0 to kick off NE10 Conference play.
HOW IT HAPPNED:
- It was scoreless until the Assumption offense put up two runs in the top of the fourth inning. Freshman Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell High School) doubled down the left field line to get on base and sophomore Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional High School) laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance her to second. Senior Stephanie Menard (Cranston, R.I. / Cranston HS West) singled and Drakoulakos made it home for the lead. Menard was advanced to third on a double by shortstop Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I. / Smithfield High School). With the bases loaded, junior Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H. / Milford) singled to centerfield to pick up an RBI, but Saint Michael's escaped the inning, striking out the next two Assumption batters.
- In the top of the fifth, the Hounds scored their last run, to take the 3-0 lead. In similar fashion to the first time, Drakoulakos doubled and Menard sent her home on the single to left field
- Saint Michael's was the home team and had a chance to send it to extra innings, but Assumption freshman pitcher Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass. / St. Marys Lynn) sealed the win striking out two batters and not allowing a hit in the final frame.
- For the third time in the weekend series, the Hound offense struck first, recording four runs in the top of the third. With the bases loaded, freshman Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H. / Salem High School) reached on a fielders choice. Senior Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass. / Marlborough) and freshman Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I. / Cranston High School East) were able to score on an error. Drakoulakos followed with a bunt to score Murphy and freshman Marisa Doherty on the play.
- In the fifth inning, Drakoulakos grounded out to drive in a run, and on the next play Peabody did the same to score Murphy and take the 6-0 lead.
- The Hounds added two more runs in the top of the sixth on a dinger from Petrie to centerfield, and then shut out Saint Michael's in the bottom of the frame to end the game 8-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In game one, Nowicki pitched seven innings as she faced 28 batters. She only allowed two hits and struck out four Purple Knight batters. Menard tallied two RBI while Drakoulakos had two doubles and runs.
- In game two, Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) tossed six innings and recorded six strikeouts for the shutout. Petrie led the offense with a home run and two RBI, while Drakoulakos added three RBI.
- Next Wednesday, April 4, the Hounds are home to host a double header against Bentley in an NE10 conference match up starting at 3:00 pm.