- Scores: No. 20 Concordia 7, Assumption 0; St. Francis 5, Assumption 2
- Records: Assumption (0-6)
- Location: Orlando, Fla.
- The Lead: Assumption dropped a pair of matches on its opening day of competition, falling 7-0 to No. 20 Concordia and then coming up short 5-2 to St. Francis (Ill.) on Monday in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption lost all three doubles matches to Concordia, with the duo of Brandon Sze (South Windsor, Conn. / South Windsor) and Jameson Keppeler (Syracuse, N.Y. / CBA Syracuse) falling only by a 6-3 margin.
- In singles action all six matches were decided in straight sets. Reb Mariano (New London, Conn. / Saint Andrew's) dropped No. 2 6-3, 6-2 while Sze at No. 3 fell 6-3, 6-1.
- Against the Fighting Saints, Assumption swept all three doubles matches to take 1-0 lead. Max Francis (West Barnstable, Mass. / Barnstable) and Mariano earned a 6-3 victory at No. 1, while Keppeler and Sze won 6-1. In the third flight, Jacob Lawrence (North Scituate, R.I. / Mt. Saint Charles Acad.) and Michael Butkus (Worcester / South High) won 7-6.
- In singles action, Sze came through with the team's lone victory at No. 3 singles by a 6-3, 6-3 score. Francis, Keppler and Lawrence all fell in three sets.
- Assumption returns to action tomorrow when the team squares off against Christian Brothers at 6:30 p.m.