- Score: Assumption 0, Merrimack 1
- Records: Assumption (2-8-3, 2-4-3 NE-10); Merrimack (8-2-2, 4-2-2 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College men's soccer team fell to Merrimack 1-0 on Tuesday night at the Assumption College Multi-Sport Stadium. The Hounds NE-10 Conference record is now 2-4-3.
How it Happened
- With less than five minutes left in the half, the Warriors had a strong chance to score when Jaime Cortes Torres had a header right in front of the net, that was saved by senior Dana King (Windham, Maine/Windham) to keep the game scoreless at the half.
- The Warriors took a 1-0 lead in the 73rd minute of the game when Connor O'Brien was at the right place at the right time, notching the goal after a series of rebounds in front of the net.
- Junior Ethan Morrow (Huntington Beach, Calif./Fountain Valley) was unlucky at the tail end of the game when he seized possession of the ball and took a shot into the right corner of the net that was saved by Merrimack's goalkeeper, Lucas Rezendes.
- In the final play of the game, junior Zach Scafati (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) blocked a shot by Merrimack's Ryan Wine after Wine had beaten King. Scafati made a sliding stop just short of the goal line to help keep the margin at 1-0.
Behind the Numbers
- King tallied five saves in between the posts in tonight's competition, while Rezendes only managed to earn two saves.
- The Warriors outshot the Hounds in both halves, finishing with an advantage of 10-5 in total shots for the game.
- Assumption held a slight advantage in corner kick attempts as the Hounds had the 4-1 advantage. All four of Assumption's corners came in the second half, while Merrimack's lone corner kick came in the first period..
- The Hounds are back in action on Saturday, October 17th as Assumption hosts Saint Michael's in a Northeast-10 matchup beginning at 4 p.m.. The two teams faced off earlier this season in the Catholic Cup, where Saint Michael's defeated Assumption, 1-0.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's soccer team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.