- Score: Assumption 2, Saint Rose 1
- Records: Assumption (2-7-3, 2-3-3 NE-10); Saint Rose (4-5-1, 3-3-1 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College men's soccer team defeated the College of Saint Rose 2-1 on Saturday afternoon at the Assumption College Multi-Sport Stadium. This marks the second win for the Hounds, improving their NE-10 Conference record to 2-3-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds earned a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute of the game. Junior Ethan Morrow (Huntington Beach, Calif./Fountain Valley) started the momentum with taking possession at the 25 yard line and followed with a shot that was saved by Saint Rose goalkeeper Colan Balkwell. Junior Sarandon Dias (Swansea, Mass./Bishop Stang) kept pressure on the goalie and was able to notch the goal off of the rebound.
- Morrow took a penalty kick for Assumption in the 24th minute of the game to put the Greyhounds ahead 2-0 midway through the first half of the game.
- Saint Rose scored just one minute after Assumption's penalty kick to pull within 2-1. The play began with a corner kick taken by Marco Palvin, followed by the goal from Nathan Brown as the rebound came off of Assumption goalie Dana King (Windham, Maine/Windham).
- Assumption and Saint Rose battled hard for the next 65 minutes of play, but the Greyhounds hung on for the one-goal league victory.
Behind the Numbers
- This is King's second win of the season, totaling seven saves in today's conference match compared to Balkwell's four saves.
- Dias's goal marks the first for him this season and his fourth overall in his career with the Hounds.
- Saint Rose outshot Assumption in both halves with an overall advantage of 16-8. Both teams had an equal opportunity in corner kicks with six apiece.
- The Hounds are back in action on Tuesday, Oct. 13th as Assumption hosts Merrimack in a Northeast-10 Conference match-up beginning at 7 p.m.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's soccer team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.