- Score: Assumption 1, New Haven 0
- Records: Assumption (1-6-1, 1-2-1 NE-10); New Haven (3-5, 0-4 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College men's soccer team defeated the University of New Haven 1-0 in Saturday's Northeast-10 match up in Worcester, Mass. Tonight's victory marked the first of the season for the Hounds after a number of narrow defeats.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first half remained scoreless as Assumption and New Haven battled hard, but both teams were unable to score.
- Assumption junior Matt Gilson (Cumberland, R.I. / Mount Saint Charles Academy) notched his first goal of the season in the 51st minute of the game. Gilson received a cross from junior Kyle Santoro(Millbury, Mass. / Millbury) and headed the ball into the net to put Assumption ahead 1-0.
- New Haven took had a chance to tie the game with a penalty kick in the 75th minute of the game. The kick was saved by Assumption goalkeeper senior Dana King (Windham, Maine/Windham) to end the game 1-0 and giving the Hounds their first win of the season.
Behind the Numbers
- Today's shutout marks the first for King this season and tallies his seventh in his collegiate career.
- Assumpion held an advantage in corner kick chances as the Hounds had six compared to just three for New Haven.
-The Hounds out shot the Chargers 12-2 in the first half and finnished the game with a total of 15 shots to New Haven's eight.
- Tonight's game was the team's "Kick CF" game as the Hounds partnered with a number of local groups to raise money to fight cystic fibrosis. The amount of money raised will soon be released and we would like to thank everyone involved who contributed to tonight's event.
- The Hounds are back in action on Tuesday as the squad travels to Stonehill College for a Northeast-10 match-up with a start time of 4 p.m.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's soccer team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.