- Score: Saint Anselm 2, Assumption 1
- Records: Assumption (0-1); Saint Anselm (1-0)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. – Multi-Sport Stadium (Catholic Cup - hosted by Assumption)
- The Lead: The Assumption College men's soccer team fell to Saint Anselm College 2-1, in their home opener this evening on day one of the 2015 Catholic Cup.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Saint Anselm took a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute when senior Sean Smith scored on the first shot of the game, assisted by sophomore Jack Heintzelman.
-The Hounds had a great opportunity in the 14th minute, but were unlucky when senior Nemanja Kaurin (South Portland, Maine/ South Portland) hit the crossbar.
- Later on in the first half, Saint Anselm increased its lead to 2-0 as junior Jack Lynch scored in the 40th minute on a penalty kick.
- Kaurin was able to put one away later in the second half as he fired his first goal of the season into the upper left corner off a free kick was approximately 20 yards out.
- Assumption continued to attack all game and had many close chances. Freshman Justin Hansen (Levittown, N.Y. / Division Avenue) had a shot just over the crossbar with a little over three minutes left in the game.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds outshot Saint Anselm in the first half 7-5 and in the second 12-2, for a total of 19-7 in shots.
- Assumption and Saint Anselm remained close in corner kicks throughout the game, with the Hawks holding a slight advantage at 4-3.
- Saint Anselm goalkeeper Stephen McLeod tallied four saves for the game, while Assumption senior Dana King (Windham, Maine / Windham) took the loss for the Hounds.
EARLIER IN THE TOURNAMENT:
- In game one of the tournament, Saint Michael's and Stonehill faced off as the Skyhawks came away with the 3-2 victory. Stonehill converted all three goals off of headers, while Saint Michael's tied the game in the second half with two goals scored within 16 seconds of each other.
- Assumption will face Saint Michael's in the consolation game at 1 p.m. on Saturday, while the 2015 Catholic Cup Championship will feature Saint Anselm vs. Stonehill at 4 p.m. at the Assumption Multi-Sport Stadium.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's soccer team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.