- Score: No. 17 Assumption 12, Saint Rose 6
- Records: Assumption (8-4, 5-3 NE10), Saint Rose (4-8, 2-7 NE10)
- Location: Albany N.Y. (Plumeri Complex)
- The Lead: Assumption led 2-0 after the first quarter and 9-3 through 45 minutes of action on the way to a 12-6 victory over Saint Rose in a crucial conference matchup Saturday evening on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead nine minutes into the first quarter. Mike Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood) then made it 2-0 with just 13 seconds left in the period for a 2-0 lead after one. Anthony D'Angelo (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) pushed the lead to 3-0 before Saint Rose got on the board at 13:30. The teams traded goals over the next ten minutes, with Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Conn. / Wilbraham & Monson) providing a 5-2 advantage with 1:53 left. Each team added one in the final 90 seconds for a 6-3 Hound lead at the half.
- Farrell netted his third of the game at 9:55 of the third for a 7-3 lead. Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) pushed the lead to 8-3 off a Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) feed with 5:28 left. Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) extended the lead to 9-3 late in the third.
- In the fourth, Leonard stretched the lead to 10-3 at 13:26, however, three straight goals by Saint Rose during the next ten minutes of action closed the gap to just 10-6. Peterson III pushed the lead back to 11-6 at 2:51 and Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) finished off the scoring with 1:19 left for the 12-6 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption held a 44-30 shot advantage in the contest and picked up four more ground balls (33-29) while recording more caused turnovers (9-4).
- Farrell had a team-high four points on three goals and one assist while Peterson III added a hat trick. Leonard chipped in two goals and one assist. Defensively, Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) had five ground balls and two caused turnovers while Adam Burnes (Braintree, Mass. / Archbishop Williams) had two of each.
- Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) made 11 saves while allowing five goals to secure the victory in 57 minutes of action. He also picked up five ground balls. Matthew Gill took the loss for Saint Rose as he had 14 saves with 12 goals allowed.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team travels to face off against nationally ranked Merrimack at 4 p.m.